Help. My 15 week old silver-laced Wyandotte is plucking her feathers out

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by My peepers, Feb 8, 2012.

1. My peepers

My peepers New Egg

Feb 8, 2012
    Dottie has plucked every feather from her neck to her feet out and I think she ate most of them. This happened in 2 days. The skin on her legs has turned green and she has huge sores on her legs and belly. The flock is a mixed flock and gets dusted regularly none of the others are pulling feathers. I have soaked her in warm water and point ointment on her sores and they are scabbing over. I gave her a big time dusting again. I gave her an antibiotic in her water, and her legs look better, but she looks like she is in pain in her legs. She is separated from the flock and has taken up residence in the garage. She will often pull out a feather and munch it down before I can stop her. She looks awful! Any ideas???? I have looked at her poop and she may have little stringy red things in it, but I am not sure. I have literally picked through her poop looking for worms etc.
    Any suggestions are helpful

2. bj taylor

bj taylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2011
    North Central Texas
    sounds wretched. i'm going to watch this thread to see what answers you get. she sounds like she's in misery. good luck.

3. MamaMarcy

MamaMarcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    I wish I could help, but I have no clue. Surely someone on here will have an idea. I did just want to say I'm sorry you're going thru this with her. [​IMG]..and i hope she gets better soon.

4. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Green legs and sores all over her? That's a tough one. A picture would be really helpful, but as a new member I don't think you can post pics at this point. Do you have the capability of posting pics? It is fairly easy to run your post numbers up to the pic-posting-level, but there is no point unless you can actually get us a few shots of her. Are you able to get some pics and show us what she has going on? I can't really even start to say what is going on without seeing the bird first.

By the way-[​IMG] I wish it were under better circumstances.

5. Gargoyle

Gargoyle Overrun With Chickens

Apr 13, 2011
    Fox Valley, IL
    My Coop
    do people think it would it work to paint her with BlueKote? That seems to stop them from pecking at each other, plus it helps protect/heal the wounds.

Note that if she is intended as a meat bird, you can eat her after using BlueKote, but if she's for eggs its fine.

6. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Blukote doesn't work that well to stop picking. There are better products on the market- Hot Pick/No Pick, pine tar and pinless peepers. I am thinking there is more going on than just the feather picking, though. I think the feather picking may just be another symptom of a larger problem.

7. Try the peepers for the plucking. Make sure she has enough protein- BOSS and egg are good boosters; you may think about getting some yogurt in her, too, to make sure it's not a deficiency of some kind. Sounds like you are doing what you can with the dusting and ointment/vaseline on the legs in the event it's mites. Definitely keep her separated until she's well.

Good luck!

8. AshPack

AshPack Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2012
    I have read a number of post across a number of forums about chickens with red strigny stuff in the droppings. People come up with a number of answers but not once have i seen the most likely answer. This is a classic sign of Necrotic Enteritis which is an problem with the small intestine. Personally i would say this may be your problem i would reccomend a treatment with one of the following phenoxymethyl penicillin, amoxycillin, neomycin. I would treat asap for 3-5 days and would be very suprised if you dont see a vast improvement. I hope this helps.

9. AshPack

AshPack Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2012
    I Dont mean to be rude but a number of the images on this page are wrong and misleading.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by