Help! My 2 leghorns stopped laying!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by blankchicken, Sep 4, 2014.

1. blankchicken

blankchicken Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2014
    I have 2 leghorns and they haven't laid in about a week now. I am worried. They are my best layers, giving me an egg almost every day. But they haven't laid an egg in about 5-6 days now so I'm worried. All the other chickens (and duck) are laying just fine, so I'm confused on what has made them stop laying. They don't seem to be sick or anything. They are acting normal and everything. Is it normal for them to stop at the same time??

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    How old are they, and how long have they been laying? Its getting close to the time when many chickens will start their molt. Usually, a couple of weeks before the molt they'll stop laying and won't pick back up again until a few weeks after it it complete. Most chickens molt once a year, starting at around a year old.

3. blankchicken

Feb 21, 2014
    Mine are about 7 months old. I was wondering if they were going to start to molt. Would there be any other signs of molting?

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    If they're only seven months old, they're probably not stopping because of molting. Have there been any stressful occurrences lately (predator attacks, etc)? Stress can cause birds to temporarily stop laying.

Is it possible they are hiding their eggs?

5. blankchicken

Feb 21, 2014
    There aren't a lot of places they could hide them, but I was going to really search for them today.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by