HELP??? My 2nd graders are worried??? NO hatching yet.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by daniellenoel, Apr 22, 2009.

1. daniellenoel

daniellenoel Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Vail Colorado
    What do we do? We are on day 22. This is first time with our Octagon 20 incubator (brinsea)... we have 19 chick egss inside and nothing is happening. Once we started incubating-the temp has been 99.6 and humidity was 45% and then since day 18 the Humidity has been 65% and temp is 99.5-99.7...... What should we be looking for???
    I am very curious as well as the students in my class... do we do anything? A little advice would be greatly appreciated. Should we be worried???? My students and myself are hoping to see some chicks soon...
    Thanks

2. jonathansenn

jonathansenn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    East Dublin, GA
    have you tried candling the eggs to see what's going on? good info on this site about that.

3. TriciaHowe

TriciaHowe Mother Hen

Nov 11, 2008
    Trenton, FL
    Have you candled to make sure there are chicks in the eggs? Sounds like everything else is perfect.
    [​IMG]

4. daniellenoel

Apr 22, 2009
    Vail Colorado
    Quote:No I didn't think we were sopposed to take them out again until they hatch

5. jonathansenn

Mar 16, 2009
    East Dublin, GA
    you should be able to take them out long enough to candle one or two. I would do it during your planning period (if you are lucky enough to get one (fellow teacher)) just in case there is a problem.

6. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    If your into day 22 candleing will do nothing you should leave the bator closed until something happens or you decide to give up. If nothing happens soon, get a day old from the feedstore and put it in there, how old are the kids? They MAY fall for it. [​IMG]

7. daniellenoel

Apr 22, 2009
    Vail Colorado
    Quote:Yes, we candled a few eggs and there is a chick in there and we did see it move... the air sac is bigger than before...
    Any suggestions?
    I guess we just wait and see... and really hope to have some hatch

8. jonathansenn

Mar 16, 2009
    East Dublin, GA
    Quote:I love it! Information with a bit of trickery [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by