Help!!! My 3 week old chick feels swollen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by magicstorm, May 11, 2016.

1. magicstorm

magicstorm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2016
    Lakeland,Fl
    I came home from work this evening I took every body out of their brooder one at a time. One of my welsummers feels swollen below her crop. I checked everyone else and they do not feel like this. I can take pics but i do not know if it is something that will show well on camera. I do not know what is wrong or what to do! Can anybody help?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Are you certain that it is not her crop? Does it feel like air trapped under the skin? There is a condition called subcutaneous emphysema or a leaking air sac, that can be common after an injury to the chest or neck. It can be decompressed with a 22 gauge needle, and then air is pressed out. it may happen again, and that can be repeated. If the chick is not in any distress, I would wait and see if the air doesn't reabsorb on it's own. Of course, if the chick is having labored breathing or clicking, this procedure should be done. Let us know what happens. Here is a link or two to read:
    http://www.ijasvm.com/ijasvmadmin/upload/IJASVM_5113cbc51d31b.pdf
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/171121/deflating-subcutaneous-emphysema

1 person likes this.
  3. magicstorm

May 3, 2016
    Lakeland,Fl
    No its not her crop. Even though I am new to chickens i have had parrots for years, so i am very familiar with crops. Never had this with them. And yes if u touch it it light crackles. She does not seem to be in distress. Eating drinking and now sleeping with her flock. I do not see any strange looking poop. I will watch her and let you know how she does. Tomorrow i will get a needle. All i have here is a 29 gauge insulin needle that is for cats insulin.[​IMG]
    Do not think it shows well. Not really something seen just felt. I couldnt feel her keel bone like on the others. So i started investigating by turning her over.

4. magicstorm

May 3, 2016
    Lakeland,Fl

Thanks sooo much for the advice!!

5. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would not use the needle unless she looks in distress, but it would be good to have close. 18 gauge needles are used in older chickens, but the 22 gauge worked for my 2 week old chick.

1 person likes this.
  6. magicstorm

May 3, 2016
    Lakeland,Fl
    Ok. Thanks again[​IMG] I feel better knowing I can help her if needed. I will watch and see.

7. magicstorm

May 3, 2016
    Lakeland,Fl
    So far she is doing ok. Attacked the FF i put in this morning.

8. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    That is good to hear. My little chick recovered completely from the same thing.

9. magicstorm

May 3, 2016
    Lakeland,Fl
    so far she is still the same slight crackling sounds slightly swollen and eating drinking and behaving just like the other chicks. So hopefully she has healed the air sacs and just waiting for the air under the skin to dissipate

10. magicstorm

May 3, 2016
    Lakeland,Fl
    Just an update. Should have done much sooner as it has been several weeks now. My pullet pulled through without having to have air pulled off. She never got very bad and healed up on her own.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by