Help my 3yr old ameraucana is lethargic, isolated and very pale in the face.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by redmiller7711, Jul 26, 2014.

1. redmiller7711

redmiller7711 Hatching

Jul 10, 2013
    Bloomington Indiana
    Recently her buddy was killed by a predator and they came back for her but were unsuccesful. She was in a coop with her buddy away from our newer chickens. This was because she was trying to kill the chicks when they were little. So we reintroduced her to the flock by putting her cage in the coop for almost 2weeks then slowly integrating. They mixed well but she has not been right since the attack. We lost 2 chickens and still have no clue what did it. I'm not sure what is making her sick. She has no balance tonight and is having a hard time standing. I brought her inside to keep an eye on her. She keeps to herself away from the others and is not very energetic. Her poop is watery but she drinks lots of water. She has never laid an egg in 3yrs. Her color is pale and her neck skin is dry. Something is not right with her. And I just can't figure it out!! When she was attacked she lost all the nail on one foot. Please help!!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. lightchick

lightchick Crowing

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    She looks pretty bad. What is she eating?

3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Crowing

Jul 24, 2013
    Those yellow/black areas on her feet look like they could be infected wounds to me. That would cause her to be weak and have trouble standing. I would also look at her head for any swelling, since ear infections can cause loss of balance, as well. For either of those infections, I would treat with penicillin or Tylan50 injections. I'm not sure about the penicillin dosage, since it has been a while since I used that antibiotic. The Tylan50 injectable dosage would be 1cc for large fowl, injected into one side of the breast once daily for 5 days.

Until you can get an antibiotic/begin treatment, I would keep your hen in a warm, clean place. Put some vitamins/electrolytes in her water if possible and encourage her to eat and drink. Sick birds usually enjoy foods like moistened chicken feed, mealworms, bread, or other fruits/veggies. If she does not eat/drink, it is likely that she will not live.

Good luck with your hen!

4. lightchick

lightchick Crowing

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    x2. I just noticed that on her foot.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
  5. redmiller7711

redmiller7711 Hatching

Jul 10, 2013
    Bloomington Indiana
    She has been eating our chicken feed and fruit I give them I'm just not sure how much. She was up walking today which was good to see!! Do chickens get depressed?

6. redmiller7711

redmiller7711 Hatching

Jul 10, 2013
    Bloomington Indiana
    Thank you for the antibiotic info. I checked her ears and as far as I can tell they don't seem swollen.

7. lightchick

lightchick Crowing

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    She might be depressed about her friend dying.

8. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Crowing

Has this bird ever been dewormed? Have you checked very carefully for lice/mites?

9. She looks more like she has Coccidia than any infection. Is she thin? Feel her breast. Is it plump or do you feel bones?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: