HELP, my 5 day old chick feels heavy and firm

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Mixed Pen, Dec 11, 2014.

1. Mixed Pen

Mixed Pen Out Of The Brooder

Dec 17, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    i picked my chick up to change the brooder box, and one feels heavy and firm
    a bit crusty around the bum (like dried on poo kind of)
    not very balanced on its legs
    not eating and drinking like the others

EDIT... Upon further investigation its looking like a belly button infection...
    maybe mushy chick.. can they get this at 5 days and have shown no signs before hand??
    i have applied anticeptic, but am feeling like this will not help??

Last edited: Dec 11, 2014
  2. pwand

pwand Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
  3. pwand

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    Make sure they have vitamins in the water.

4. Mixed Pen

Dec 17, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Thanks PWAND..
    I had a good look now,
    the vent is clean, (but i cleaned off any poo off fluff

BUT.. The belly button looks infected, its firm to touch and has one hardish bit about small fingernail size on one side of the belly button.
    the feathers around the belly button are not fluffy like the others, its like damp and crunchy looking, not damp to touch

i have appliced so antiseptic but now thinking mushy chicken??

5. pwand

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    Antiseptic may help, i have never had to deal with that, maybe someone else could help. Search the interenet as well.

6. Mixed Pen

Dec 17, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Thanks, i am just not sure for sure, when it hatched i vaguely (sleep deprived mother) remember it laying for quite some time while the last of the yolk absorbed and the yolk being attached to the shell for ages, maybe it had damaged itself when it was doing all that, but i never noticed til now, but i am sure its been normal to the touch and was eating and drinking fine, however another one in there i had been treating daily for hen attack and may not have been giving the other as much attention as i should have been

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by