help!!!! my 5 week old duckling is constantly panting

aleciasayshii

Songster
10 Years
Apr 17, 2009
The Colony
and its been happening for two weeks or so and im really worried about him. He only pants when he sits down and breathes really fast until he gets tired from doing it and falls asleep.
it keeps scaring me.
i'm wondering if i should go see a vet.

and what bothers me is the fact that he lives inside and he is rarely outside.
i dont think i could bear with loosing my little mustard
sad.png

this is what his panting looks like:
IMG_2862.jpg

IMG_2863.jpg

im not sure if that helps...

Well, I hope he doesn't have what JJ had. She was 6 weeks old, started having heavy breathing last night and she died today. One of the diseases I looked up that could be the cause was a fungal infection. Is mustard in a damp area?

I would call the vet if I were you.

I think male heavy ducklings pant more than any other. We have a peking drake duckling and he gets winded easily right now. He's growing and fat, and just walking a few hundred feet gets him all flustered.

I wouldnt freak out too too much.

Well I also dont know if he's a male either. I have no clue of his gender haha. I just dont want to take him to the vet because it's going to be costly
sad.png

oh and no he's not in a damp area, I clean his cage every two days and he's rarely in there as it is.
my house isn't very damp so im just kind of lost.

My duck's do that alot when they are on bankets. Try giving your baby a cool bath. Not cold or anything just cool so they can cal themselves. When they are that young you want to watcht em VERY closely so they dont drown. Yes ducks can drown thats how i lost one of mine.

I do hope its not much to worry about. Try just letting it walk around and not go on the blanket too ^^!

Good luck

ps, I'd clean the cage atleast once a day atleast its just him, or a wire bottom cage.

Back
Top Bottom