Help!!!! My 5 wk old Polish just got attacked

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by animal nut, Apr 8, 2009.

1. animal nut

animal nut Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    S. E Ohio
    My older hen got a hold of my 5 week old polish this morning and pecked him. He has visable wounds. How do I treat the area? He is eating and drinking. I gave him electrolytes in his water. What else can I do to help him get better?

Will his feathers grow back? They managed to remove on side of his back feathers.

This is my daughters pet....I really do not want to lose him.

2. Hobbley_Farm

Hobbley_Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    Pilot Mountain, NC
    are they open wounds or just areas where the feathers are missing? He's acting ok?

3. Chickie Mamma

Chickie Mamma Farmer at Heart

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    Clean the wounds the best you can and put some Neosporin on them. Keeping the wounds clean is the key! [​IMG]

4. animal nut

Sep 11, 2008
    S. E Ohio
    I only see one open wound...not real bad. What do I clean the wound with? He seems to be acting ok. I just found him when went home for lunch. I isolated him but really did not have enough time to spend with him. He ate and drank while I was home. My son will coming home soon and I will have him look after him.

So do I clean the wounds with water or peroxide?
    Will the neosporan hurt him if he eats it?

5. thebritt

thebritt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Humboldt County
    I clean wounds with a mild (diluted) Betadine solution the color of light amber. I concur with the application of Neosporin - apply a THIN coat and keep an eye on it. Has he been separated from the offending hen? That would be a good idea to prevent future attacks. Good luck.

6. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    Just don't use neosporin with any pain killer in it. No "caine" in it.

7. animal nut

Sep 11, 2008
    S. E Ohio
    He has been seperated. Thank you for the info. I think he will be fine, just featherless. I will call my son and have him clean the wounds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by