Help!! my 6 day old deformed chick isn't eating or drinking

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by xxxgeorgiexxx, Aug 23, 2011.

1. xxxgeorgiexxx

xxxgeorgiexxx Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2011
    Wales
    hi 1 of my 6 day old chicks hasn't been eating or drinking, its got deformed legs too, it only drinks when i put its beak in the water. what shall I do?

2. navychick

navychick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    There are alot of links on this board to help with its legs. Hopefully its not too late. Maybe do a search.

3. xxxgeorgiexxx

Jul 3, 2011
    Wales
    ok i will thanks

4. Clay Valley Farmer

Clay Valley Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    It may not be best to get overly high hopes. Often when there are external deformities there are also other internal or nero problems. Sometimes they won't survive no matter what you do.

Also there is some value to considdering what impact a weak chicken can have for the future of your flock. Weak chickens are often the first to get sick and spread it to the flock and some deformities are passed on genetically.

5. xxxgeorgiexxx

Jul 3, 2011
    Wales
    chick died 2day [​IMG]

6. Ladynblkus Hen

Ladynblkus Hen New Egg

Aug 26, 2011
    I'am Sorry How Old Was It?[​IMG]

7. WishboneDawn

WishboneDawn Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2011
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Quote:We had to learn that lesson with a meat chick this year. He had trouble with his vent from the beginning. I looked after him and he made it to 6 weeks but not before a horrible week where his comb went dark and the life seemed to go out of him. I thought I was doing a good thing but I think next time I'll assume that one deformity on the outside likely means more wrong on the inside and cull the poor things from the get-go.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by