help my 6 month old rhode island red pullet has a puffy chest

blueseal

Crowing
11 Years
Jul 3, 2008
WALDOBORO MAINE
her chest is puffed out its all soft and fatty she has a hard time walking. she is still eating . but sometimes she stands by herself i can tell she isnt right . she is 1 of 3 pullets i got as chicks back in july. she is the slowest one to devolp so far. what could be wrong with her.

Give us the following information. The more you tell us, the better we will be able to help you.

1) What type of bird , age and weight.
2) What is the behavior, exactly.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use

Could it be a crop problem?

thinking she has sour crop i picked her up and she puked liquid out from her eating. she still eats and drinks . what can i do for her . she has a big swollen breast like softball size. i massaged the neck area feels like there is something hard there but not sure if its a bone or something else. if i pick her up she vommits . i feed my flock layer mash .

Give us the following information. The more you tell us, the better we will be able to help you.

1) What type of bird , age and weight.
2) What is the behavior, exactly.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use

Sounds like she may have over drank,
take the water away for tonight and give her a little bit of vege or olive oil down her thraot in case it is sour crop, if it feels sandy then you should message her crop very gentaly downward.

Quote:
1. she is a ri red pullet single comb 6 months old. not sure of her weight good size pullet.
2. her behavior is ok. one minute shes fine eating drinking. then just standing around like theres something wrong.
3. noticed just today.
4. no.
5. no
6. i fed my birds some bakery bread loafs a niehbor dropped off been feeding it to them four or 5 times in the last month .
7. bread, layer mash , drinking fresh water daily.
8. havent noticed any bad signs in the poop.
9. massaging the swollen crop.
10. would like to treat myself . dont know of any chicken vets in my area.
11.theres a picture of another post on this section where i replied and it looks exactly the same as what my pullet is expeirencing.
12. the housing is a 10x12 gambrel coop with pine shavings as bedding. i keep it nice and clean.

Back
Top Bottom