Help, my 6month old Bard Rock's beak is Broken!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by AHDCST, Nov 22, 2011.

1. AHDCST

AHDCST Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Albemarle,NC
    [​IMG] My poor little girl, we just got the eye problem under control and BOOM! yesterday I noticed her beak is out of alignment. The bottom is about a quarter of an inch to the side. She tries to eat but the food falls out of her mouth. I tried letting her free-range but she can't seem to eat grass or scratch grains either. What can I do for her? I put her in a transitional coop I use for chicks. She will have a dark warm place to rest. I need to know if anybody has any ideas what to try to feed her. I have a large syringe that I could use to get liquids in her. I just have a sinking feeling that I can't do anything for her.[​IMG]

2. branston

branston Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Virginia
    I have a hen with a crooked beak that I have been syringe feeding for a long time, although her beak is a genetic thing. I took the hen to the vet and he gave me Lafeber's Nutritional support. You can only get through a vet. You mix it with water and syringe feed. I also syringe feed her with organic baby food, peas, green beans, peaches and now only occasionally apples as she got sour crop from too much apples. Hope that helps

3. AHDCST

Apr 17, 2011
    Albemarle,NC
    [​IMG]I will have to see if any of the vets around here can get me some. Thanks for the info. I will give it a go with the baby food tomorrow.

4. AHDCST

Apr 17, 2011
    Albemarle,NC
    [​IMG] [​IMG] I thought the eye problem was fixed only to find out yesterday that what is causing the swelling and problem with her beak is actually an eye worm! I can't find any of the medications recommended to me for eye worms. Anybody know how to treat it?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by