Help! My 9 mo. kitten just ate 4 hershey kisses

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by meriruka, Dec 26, 2009.

  1. meriruka

    meriruka Chillin' With My Peeps

    Oct 18, 2007
    Should I panic? Before I drag the vet out and drive 1/2 hour to meet him, will she be ok?
    (When I call, I just get an answering machine that the offices are closed until Monday,
    absolute emergencies only).
    Has anyone had this happen? I've searched the web, it tells me that milk chocolate is the
    least poisonous, but it doesn't say how much is too much.
     
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2009
  2. Cindiloohoo

    Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

    7,470
    15
    253
    Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    She should be fine, maybe sick stomach but fine with just 4 of them going through her system. I had a pup devour an entire chocolate cake WITH icing and he turned out okay. It's the dark chocolate with all the condensed cocoa that is really bad from what I understand. Just keep an eye on the little darling.
     
  3. redhen

    redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

    35,112
    128
    458
    May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    thats a tough call...i think that the chocolate that we eat (milk chocolate) isnt AS bad for them as the baking chocolate...i've heard that its really the baking chocolate you have to really worry about...
    but a kitten is small so...not sure what to tell you. Good luck! I hope shes okay.. [​IMG]
     
  4. organicfoltzfamilyfarm

    organicfoltzfamilyfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

    336
    0
    119
    Dec 13, 2009
    Trafalgar, IN
    I think she will be ok.

    Worst case scenario is that she will get an upset tummy (from the sugar) and the Hershey Squirts....sorry I had to say it like that.

    Please keep us updated. Keep an eye on her and if she starts throwing up or acting unusual take her to the vet IMMEDIATELY.
     
  5. meriruka

    meriruka Chillin' With My Peeps

    Oct 18, 2007
    She nabbed them off the cookies I just baked when I went into the pantry to get her cat food.
    So she has also eaten her dinner. I though about trying to get her to throw up, but she has
    claws and a short fuse, she's likely to add my finger to the contents of her stomach.
     
  6. Imp

    Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

    Last edited: Dec 26, 2009
  7. WingingIt

    WingingIt Chillin' With My Peeps

    Apr 16, 2009
    I think it's the pure cocoa that's dangerous for animals and I just tried to look it up but haven't found how much is in kisses. I'd bet not much. Probably will end up with a tummy ache.
     
  8. thebritt

    thebritt Chillin' With My Peeps

    Mar 5, 2009
    Humboldt County
    Milk chocolate is less toxic than dark or baking chocolate because it's more "dilute" with the milk and all. However, kittens are small, so the amount tolerated is small. I would keep an eye on her, and offer lots of liquids (chicken/turkey broth, water, some milk - anything to flush the system - they use IV's at the vet's) before calling the vet. Note at what time you think this happened, quantity, etc. You can probably call the vet on duty for emergencies and get a phone consult. A lot of vets are closed today, and they don't want to come out any more than you do, so I'm sure they'd pass along advice. Can also google "cats and milk chocolate" and see what info comes up. Hopefully everything will be fine [​IMG] Keep us posted!
     
  9. meriruka

    meriruka Chillin' With My Peeps

    Oct 18, 2007
    Left a message for the on-call vet, but in the meantime I found out
    it would take minimum 300mg of theobromine to be fatal.( rate = 100-200 mg per ounce per kilogram (2.2 lbs) of pet.)
    Milk chocolate is 58mg per ounce.
    I weighed 4 hershey kisses and they are .7 ounces, so she had 40.6 mg and she weighs 6 lbs.
    So I'm calmer now, she may have the runs or vomit, but she won't die.

    Thanks everyone for the advice.
     
  10. savingdogs

    savingdogs Chillin' With My Peeps

    You could make her vomit it up by giving her peroxide. It makes animals vomit without hurting them. Put some in a syringe (without the needle) and force feed it. Give a few cc's then wait a few minutes. If no vomiting, try again. Repeat until kitten vomits. It does not make them like you but it will make them throw up. You will see the chocolate when they do and then you can feel much better.
     

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by