1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help!!! My Australorp has some liquid coming out of her vent.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sunnysilkie, Jul 29, 2011.

1. sunnysilkie

sunnysilkie Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2011
    Sydney, NSW, Australia
    Today I checked on my chickens and my Australorp had wet tail feathers. I thought it was some poo but I checked her vent and she had some clear yellowish liquid coming out of her vent. I'm new to chickens and she is my first one, she has just started laying eggs. I checked the other one, a White Leghorn and she has nothing wrong with her. She hasn't started laying yet. Please help!

2. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

anyone?

3. sunnysilkie

Jul 24, 2011
    Sydney, NSW, Australia
    It's ok it's gone, but what was it?

4. dewey

dewey Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    Did she lay today? Hoping she'll be ok.

5. sunnysilkie

Jul 24, 2011
    Sydney, NSW, Australia
    She has laid three eggs so far. She didn't lay today, but she hasn't laid every day since I found the first egg.

6. okhippie

okhippie Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2011
    Keystone Dam
    If it was yellowish it sounds like yolk, and if she didn't lay today, she might have cracked the egg inside. I am new to this as well, but have read many posts on egg-bound chickens, and eggs that break inside the vent. I think you want to make sure she is all clear, if the shell was hard, it might scrape her inside. It's possible it was a soft shell, too, so maybe that is a calcium issue.
    Search for "egg-bound" and see what turns up. Wish I could be more helpful.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by