Help :'( my babies are dead and I Don't know why

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Nystra, May 18, 2010.

1. Nystra

Nystra Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2010
    Southern ME
    Monday i got 5 chicks from a local family who had ordered from a hatchery (I'm not sure what one) I brought the chicks home and Put them in a Plastic rubber maid bucket with pine woodshavings. The water bucket leaked so we had to replace with newspaper because we had just ran out of shavings... I used a 75watt bulb for day time and a 100 watt ceramic heat bulb at night. Today I went and picked up two more chicks from a Different person. I got home with those chicks at 8pm and put them in with the other chicks. Everyone seemed happy healthy drinking and eating. My boyfriend had changed the light to a 100 watt bulb and placed it about 14inches high above one corner of the bin with food and water on the other side with new bedding temporarily as newspaper some flat and some shredded up. I went upstairs to change the light to their night time bulb and thought they were all sleeping snuggled up together. Much to my dismay when they didnt wake up once i accidentally bumped the bucket I checked them.. 5/6 were dead... I am just at a complete Loss as to what could kill them in that amount of time? Less than 2hours.... I just dont understand. My boyfriend thinks it was too cold.. but with the bulbs i was using before he changed it to a 100 watt they were keeping the bin at 85. Did he cook them accidentally? They were a week Old chicks aracaunas, rhodeisland red, buff orpington, and a brown leghorn. I just dont know what went wrong. I have one aracauna left and I dont know wat to do [​IMG] please help or tell me what i did wrong?

2. Tikka

Tikka Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2009
    If they had gotten wet and were only at 85, I would guess they were too cold rather than too hot.

3. Smartie_Pants

Smartie_Pants Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    With shipping a lot of times that can happen. I have never ordered them from a hatchery or really had any problems with the brooder heat, so I will let someone more knowledgeable tell you about that. I just wanted to tell you that the chick is NOT an Arucana. It is an Easter Egger, EE for short.

4. Nystra

May 18, 2010
    Southern ME
    But the boy had put a new light on them and it was warmer than my 85. idk how hot it was with the 100watt but with 75 watt it was 85

5. Nystra

May 18, 2010
    Southern ME
    And they hadnt gotten wet. The people i got the chicks from have had then since May 11th I had them since yesterday afternoon. and the new 3 tonight at 8. From two different places over a hour away from eachother.. 4 from one 2 from another. all but one are dead

6. NancyP

NancyP Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Bonifay,Florida
    How long have you had them? Is it possible maybe the feed is bad? I am sorry for your loss.
    Nancy

7. Nystra

May 18, 2010
    Southern ME
    I got the first 4 just over 24 hours ago. and the other 2 at 8pm tonight. i came upstairs at around 9:45/10 to switch them to the ceramic bulb and they were jst dead. at first i thought they were sleeping.. as for the feed. its a brand new bag just opened yesterday of Manna Pro Chick Starter (Medicated - complete crumbles for chicks)

8. justtoni44

justtoni44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    oregon
    I would also wonder if anything could have been spilled on the news paper.
    Years ago, we lost a whole batch that we brought home from the feed store because they put them in a box that had weed killer in it. Could it be something toxic.
    I am sorry this happened to you.

9. Nystra

May 18, 2010
    Southern ME
    the newspaper from new from today from the mailbox.. i put paper towels over it now. I am just so at a loss.. I am terrified to get more chicks and so afraid i'll lose my last little one. the temp in with it right now is at 90 with my ceramic bulb i put a towel in for her to cuddle with and a thermometer not two inches away from her so i can see how warm she is

and Thank you for caring and helping everyone you have no idea how much i appreciate it

10. NurseNettie

NurseNettie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    Northern Maine
    Oh, I'm so sorry. It's hard to tell what may have happend. Could have been 1 thing, or many in combination.

For future, just be sure to do all the "right" things again. Clean bedding, heat around 90 degrees, with room to get out of the heat if they are too warm, of course. Clean food, safe water ( to avoid accidental drowning) , clean bin, dishes, etc.

I wonder if something had gotten on one of the bulbs with all the changing that was done? Just another possibility- some chemical that was released with the heat. Could have been something in the water, or in the waterer, feed dish.. who knows. Small doses of chemicals or other contaminants can do a job on them. Or they were just all sick and got each other sick.

Again , so very sorry [​IMG]

Edited to add::: What part of Maine are you in? I'm in Northern Maine, and I have an empty incubator and I'd be more than happy to set some barnyard mix eggs for you, free of charge to replace what you lost.

Quote:

Last edited: May 18, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by