Help, my babies are dying

jay

Hatching
12 Years
Jul 10, 2007
I ordered 20 biddies from a coop here in south Alabama. Went good for a few days, then we lost 2, 2 days later 7, last night 1. The heat is running around 98 to 100 during the day and 80's at night. We have them in a pen on the porch, they have good shelter, and hay. We burn a 60 watt bulb in the shelter 24/7. No injuries on the babies, just dead. Im so confused, please give me some insite. Thank you for your time.

sometimes the shipping can be stressful to the chicks and they just die. sometimes they are born sick and just die. it may not necessarily be your fault that they are suddenly dying.

Quote:
Welcome to BYC ..

You need to know the temp in their brooder. 100 degrees with a bulb on them can be HOT! 80 degrees with a bulb not close enough can be COLD .. to a chick. Are they panting?? Are they huddled up together? Do they have protection from drafts.?

Chick starter
Fresh water
Draft protection
Steady temperature

and sometimes they still die.

All you can do is the best you can.

Sorry for your loss ...
hugs.gif

welcome-byc.gif

How large of a brooder are your chicks in?

Have you watched them all, to be sure they are eating AND drinking. Some dip beaks into the water to introduce chicks to water, I use my fingernails to give them a drink and then tap the side of the water container to draw the chicks to it.

Where do the chick tend to "hang out" in your brooder? Do they crowd together or keep apart?

What is the temp in the brooder - both under the light and in the "cool" part? At night and day? They do need heat - the warm part of the brooder should be 90 night and day - your chicks might be too hot during the day and too cold at night. The cool part can be what the room temp is or even a bit cooler.

Are your chicks crying?

Do they have a pasty butt?

Sorry to ask so many questions - but it could be so many things.

hugs.gif

What do their droppings look like? it might be genetic or hatching problems or their might have been a virus going around.

I am sorry for your loss.

What are you feeding them? maybe try switching the food, it may be contaminated.

Do u have a thermometer in the brooder, R they congregating in a corner away from light? If they are It's too hot Raise light or turn it off during day.Try to keep an even temp of 90 -100F the first week ,, then decrease by 5degrees each week. The Learning Center At the top of this forum is a great source of information. Sorry for ur loss
hit.gif
, Good luck wi th the rest
fl.gif

I am so sorry about your babies. Just a though,.. because I know so little as of yet,..We are in south Louisiana and our humidity is running around 68%-90% every night. We had our babies on the porch too and they were not looking well untill we pulled them in the house and they began to perk up after about 12 hours. I don't know if this was the problem , as were are new to brooding but if you have the same humidity it might be something to think about. It's like breathing water when we go outside! I think if evolution were real,.. we would have developed gills by now!
wink.png

Please post if you do find out what it is. We learn so much from all the posts. It's poultry school everyday for us new eggs.
Again, so sorry about your babies.
yvette

I don't think they're supposed to get 'too hot' either. I know our local farm supply stops selling chicks when it gets too hot

Back
Top Bottom