Help my baby 1 day old chick seams lifeless

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by LovemyPekin, Apr 14, 2016.

1. LovemyPekin

LovemyPekin Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2016
    Albion New York
    My baby chicken has been peeing and running all over the incubator and allllll of a sudden he is lifeless not moving and breathing heavy for the last hour is their anything I can do I hado Chick starter mash in their as he was pecking ateverything he pecked at it a few times I went to the store came back and he's just laying around :)

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    More information: Where is your brooder, are there other chicks? How are they? What are you using for a heat source? How warm is it in the brooder at the heat source and away from the heat source?

3. rIrs roost

rIrs roost Sir Crows A lot Premium Member

Aug 20, 2015
    Rockingham NC
    X2 does he have water? If your heating with a lamp does it have a place to get away from the heat If it's too hot?

4. LovemyPekin

Apr 14, 2016
    Albion New York
    I left.him in incubator as another chick.was hatching it's at 98. He had water in a shallow dish. And mash food to he passed away tho :(

5. rIrs roost

rIrs roost Sir Crows A lot Premium Member

Aug 20, 2015
    Rockingham NC
    Oh I'm sorry.

6. LovemyPekin

Apr 14, 2016
    Albion New York
    Thank you Iv hatched duck before never chickens before the 2nd one is doing god.so far

7. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    How old was the one that died? If he was more than 2 days old, he may have died from over heating. Mama broody typically takes them out of the nest by the time they are 48 hours old.

8. LovemyPekin

Apr 14, 2016
    Albion New York
    He was only a day old I have another one that hatched last night don't need he same thing happened to him taking him out this afternoon

9. HenniePennie60

HenniePennie60 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2013
    I have a 2 day old chick that I got from a hatchery with 71 others. This little gal was standing away from the others this morning and seems to be having some respiratory distress. Beak open, panting. She wasn't under the heat lamp so I took her out and held her for a little bit outside of the brooder space. She was still open beak and not interested in water. So brought her into the house and put her in isolation area with a lamp to keep her warm but not hot. I put a tiny spot of VetRx on her beak (Not in her mouth) and again tried to get her to drink a little. I called the hatchery and they gave me the name of two vets in the state who deal with chickens. That is ridiculous that NOBODY wants to deal with chickens because it doesn't make them much money to learn about them. BUT anyway. The vet I did speak with basically said that she "probably has umbilical septicemia" with is a systemic infection from where they detach from the yolk in the egg. Basically I was advised to cull her, as babies with difficult starts do not do well life long. Now I have to decide if I let her struggle and hope for a better outcome, or to take her life. Why do they have to be so sweet and cute? I can't imagine doing what the doctor advised me to do..... "Just take a pair of sharp scissors and Snip her head off. It will be more merciful in the long run." ....... this just sucks!!

10. LovemyPekin

Apr 14, 2016
    Albion New York
    Omg I cleaned my 2nd baby with iodine right after she hatched as I lost my first one ever at a day old :( and Iv been feeding the chicken kit electrolyte and syringe feed water 1 mil an hour hope your baby pulls thru

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by