HELP my baby bunnies keep dying

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Lovebunnies25, Feb 19, 2014.

1. Lovebunnies25

Lovebunnies25 New Egg

Feb 19, 2014
    I have a problem with losing my 4 day old kits one after another. The mother gave birth with at least her second litter (we adopted her with a litter, not sure how many she has had before then) she had 9 kits 4 days ago and today we found one dead one this morning and then two more a few hours later and just about an hour ago another one died. They are in the house because it is too cold outside and we feel so helpless. Why might this be happening? And is there anything we should be doing?

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Where are you finding them dead, like in the nest box or out in the cage? If they're in the box, it might not be big enough and maybe mom is squishing them. If they're on the wire, you need to add a lip to the box so they can't crawl out. Did mom pull hair? Is she nursing them? Do they look and act healthy? Do they appear to have been bitten or kicked?

Sorry, I'm not much help, but we need more info.

3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Another thought, where did she kindle? In the cage she's in now or some other place, like an outside hutch. If you moved her and the kits after they were born, the move may have stressed her to the point where she doesn't want to take care of them anymore.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by