1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!My baby chick has bubbles coming out of wound.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by redrooster99, Sep 6, 2014.

1. redrooster99

redrooster99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2013
    georgia
    my baby chick has got a wound on her but area, and it happened today i figured she would be okay then a bubble came out and then went down then another one came out when it chirped what do i do. PLEASE HELP THIS IS URGENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would clean the area with betadine, and take some neosporin ointment and place over the wound with apiece of gauze or cotton, and then hold it there for as long as you can sit with the chick. It could have a leaking air sac that is punctured. The ointment and gauze may make a seal temporarily until it heals. There is not much else I can suggest.

3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    How old is your chick?

Last edited: Sep 6, 2014
  4. redrooster99

Jun 14, 2013
    georgia
    about a week old.and thankyou for the replys. here is a picture. he still walks around some.
    [​IMG]

5. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I've never seen anything like that before. Do the bubbles pop or is it a membrane that is staying there? It must be a leaking air sac, but it needs to be closed up. Below are some pictures that show the location of the 9 air sacs in chickens and birds.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

6. redrooster99

Jun 14, 2013
    georgia
    they go away then come back but i think it is sort of a membrane i got it closed up with a Gauss and neosporin cream.

7. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Please let us know how she gets along. I really hope it heals up. If a vet is a possibility, they could probably put s stitch in the skin to close it up, but it may close on it's own in a day or so.

8. redrooster99

Jun 14, 2013
    georgia
    i dont realy have the money for a vet but i will definintly update you all. but if it is an air sac does the chicken have to have the air sac.

9. jmuller3580

jmuller3580 Out Of The Brooder

May 22, 2014

Unfortunately, yes they need the air sacs to breath. Birds breath "recycled" air. It's not just a breath in and out like ours is. A breath comes in and then moves through the different chambers and then out.

10. redrooster99

Jun 14, 2013
    georgia
    Sadly she didn't make it through the night. I'm going to miss her, but know she is in chicken heaven.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by