1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HELP..MY BABY CHICK HAS PASTY BUTT.. WHEN I TRIED TO PULL IT OFF IT...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by standardbanty, Mar 19, 2009.

1. standardbanty

standardbanty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2008
    Maryland
    MY CHICK HAD PASTY BUTT. i SLOWLY TRIED TO PULL IT OFF AND I THINK I MADE A SMALL HOLE UNDER THE VENT. A LOT OF YELLOW THICK LIQUID CAME OUT OF THE HOLE. NO BLOOD CAME OUT. CAN SHE MAKE IT THROUGH? WHAT CAN I DO TO PREVENT THE PASTY BUTTS?

2. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    It was probably poo that was backed up inside the chick leaking out when you pulled off the poop plug.

3. scbatz33

scbatz33 No Vacancy, Belfry Full

Jan 23, 2009
    South GA
    I had 2 chicks with pasty butt. I don't know if there is any special remedy - time seems to be the best thing. After about 3 or 4 days they have firmed up and it's not a problem any more.

I did use warm water and q-tips to remove the poo. It gets really hard and gets stuck in the down.

Good luck!

4. chilling in muscadine

chilling in muscadine { I love being disfunctual }

Jun 8, 2008
    muscadine, al.
    Quote:I don't know what to tell you about the yellow stuff but to remove pasty butt you need to wet a cloth with warm water, hold and work it until the poo releases from the fuzzy butt. Could the yellow you saw be some poo??????????? Just a thought. How old is the chick?

5. Ellie_NY_chick

Ellie_NY_chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Look closely and see if you ripped off skin or if it was backed up dookie. Either way, watch it carefully and keep it clean. A dab of iodine on a q-tip wouldn't hurt in case it was skin.

A *little* bit of cornmeal mixed with the chick starter should help with the pasty butt.

How old is the chick? Have you noticed diarrhea prior to this?

6. standardbanty

standardbanty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2008
    Maryland
    IT COULD BE. I DONT KNOW WHAT IT WOULD BE.

7. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    You can put Chicken Poop lip balm on it to prevent sticking again- it's not petroleum based and the lavendar seems to soothe.

You could also use Neosporin to treat any open wound, but not the 'pain relief' kind, as anything with 'caine' such as lidocaine or benzocaine is VERY bad for them. This ointment would also help to prevent sticking.

I never try to peel them off- I always run warm water over on it while crushing it with my finger- the chunk breaks up pretty fast this way without pulling any down.

8. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    How old is the chick?

If it's very young, you might have reopened the naval and yolk contents are being spilled.

9. Ellie_NY_chick

Ellie_NY_chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Quote:Just don't ever use it as a lip balm again! [​IMG]

10. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

for future reference, dont pull off the dried poop. You need to soften it up with some warm water. You can actually pull out this chicks intestines, I have read. Put some vasaline around the vent to help prevent sticking.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by