Help my baby chick has peeped through the egg 13 hours ago!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Tracie96, Oct 5, 2012.

1. Tracie96

Tracie96 New Egg

Oct 5, 2012
    Hello,
    I am a first timer with hatching eggs. I have had my eggs in the incubator for 21 days today (Oct. 5) Last night a chick hatched and died. This morning another chick started to peep through. The hole the chick made is very tiny the size about a half of pea.

I did open the incubator, I know it was wrong and just put my fingers on the egg and I can feel a heart-beat. Is this normal to take so long. Even though the chick last night died it was out in 3 hours.

Thanks to anyone who can help.
    Tracie

2. christin-2009

christin-2009 New Egg

Jan 7, 2010
    norwood ,mo
    it can take 12
    hours or more to zipp

3. CluckyCharms

CluckyCharms Chillin' With My Peeps

I wouldn't be opening that bator anymore.

After pipping, chicks can actually take anywhere from 5 minutes to over 20 hours to hatch (the longest I have heard of was 33 hours after pipping).

The pip is one of (if not the) hardest parts of hatching for a chick. It takes a lot of strength and determination for them to pip that teeny tiny hole. After they pip it out...they will usually take a *really long* rest, as they are exhausted. 13 hours is only halfway to the "danger zone" so to speak (it's usually a sign of trouble or distress if it takes longer than 24 hours).

There is usually a reason why he or she could not hatch by itself (deformities, defects, illness, incubation issues, shipment problems that extended throughout the incubation etc). Many will assist the hatch if there's no sign of progress 24 hours after the pip. Others will allow nature to take it's course and the chick may pass away in the egg.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/684513/shaken-up-by-deformed-chick-assisted-hatch
    (there was a reason this chick could not hatch by itself, but as you can see in the thread (thus far) there is a reason he should have been helped, as he is doing well now.)

If you are adamant about helping your chick hatch, then please read these instructions first:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/491013/goose-incubation-hatching-guide-completed they are near the bottom of the tutorial

And this as well:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101 If you scroll down there is an instructional video on what danger signs to look for...while assisting. You can do more harm than good to your chick without this information - it's pretty much crucial to know exactly what to do.

I'm on my first hatch as well and it's nerve-wracking. All of the information given above is information that is spread out all over these forums that I have picked up on in time, and bookmarked.

Good luck with your little chicky(ies).

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by