Help!!!! My baby chick is dying!!! PLEASE ADVISE!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Aban, Jan 30, 2014.

1. Aban

Aban Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2013
    Pensacola Florida
    I dont know what is wrong with it,it wont drink or eat. it is VERY weak. It is barely breathing. It is less than one week old, we have them inside the house with a small heater in the room. One already died last night. I am not sure what to do. PLEASE ADVISE!!

2. chickencoop789

chickencoop789 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2012
    New Jersey
    This may sound cruel but survival of the fittest is a very real thing, even with baby chicks. Deaths are going to occur when brooding chicks and there really isn't anything you can do about it (at least to the best of my knowledge). Maybe your brooder temp. is too high?

Last edited: Jan 30, 2014
  3. Aban

Dec 22, 2013
    Pensacola Florida
    Thank you for the advice...do you know what i can do about the babies having poop build up on thier bottoms?

4. chickencoop789

Jul 1, 2012
    New Jersey
    Well, first you have to clean their butts. Take the chick and pour some warm water on the poopy area and gently pick the poop off, but be careful not too pull the feathers out or it might hurt the chick's soft skin. When all of the poop is off, then dry the feathers with a paper towel. Then put a little bit of Vaseline around the vent to prevent further poo buildup and help sooth any irritation. The vent must be cleared off or the poo could cause it to clog up and the chick will die (maybe this was the reason the chicks were dying?).

Since you said that they are less than a week, the poo buildup, aka pasty butt, could most likely be caused by the brooder being too hot/cold (it should be between 90* - 95* during the first week) or even the food they are eating. Maybe try switching the brand of food when they get a little older. If that doesn't work then it could be caused by some sort of disease.

Is that chick still alive?

5. Aban

Dec 22, 2013
    Pensacola Florida
    no it died....i will have my daughter double check the temp. and we will add the vaseline around the vent. Thank you so much for the assistance. do you know about how long until we can let them go outside...i worry about keeping them in the house. we are really trying to keep them as natural as possible. we thought we could try to let our hen take them in...but i think she may be to young and we dont know how to make sure she would take care of them

6. chickencoop789

Jul 1, 2012
    New Jersey
    Im not too sure about introducing chicks to a grown hen (as ive never had to do this) but by the time my chicks were three weeks old, they were grazing in my yard. But that was in the middle of the summer. If you are in a state that has been having temps in the 60's and 70's, then I don't see why you cant let them outside for an hour or so when they get a little older. But if you currently have snow on the ground, like I do, then I would suggest waiting until they are almost fully feathered. You don't want them to chill because they can get sick.

7. Aban

Dec 22, 2013
    Pensacola Florida
    yeah and we just had a horrible week with snow and ice...which we normally NEVER have. and it is suppose to happen again next week. I guess we will have to wait until the weather is more steady. Do you happen to have chickens of different ages? if so, do you have any suggestions of how to put them together so they will get along as they get older. the way we have it now is really not working especially with the unsually cold weather we are having. it is leaving the babies in the house, then we have young chickens that we are having to put in the coop while the older ones roam the yard. but with the weather as cold as it is then we are unable to let the older ones out which leaves us no where to put the young ones. and now that we lost 2 of the babies today, i am just not sure what we need to do to keep the chickens well, healthy and warm. I am feeling quite overwhelmed right now and wishing spring was here already.

8. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

An older hen will not accept chicks as her own unless she has been persistently broody for a few weeks. Otherwise the chicks are seen as intruders and highly likely to be attacked.

How old are the various younger birds you are wanting to integrate? Young, brooder raised chicks cannot go outside in very cold temps until they are fully feathered, about 5 weeks old. And even then they are young to be exposed to extreme cold right out of the brooder. I understand you are trying to raise them naturally, but that would entail them being raised by a broody hen who would protect them and offer warmth. In the absence of that you have to provide heat for them until they are grown and capable of keeping themselves warm. There is nothing unnatural about that, it is simply fulfilling their heat requirements until they can do so themselves.

If you don't have a heat lamp on the chicks that are currently in the house, that may be the problem. If the room does stay at a constant 98 degree's they may be too hot. I keep chicks at normal room temp, or whatever the temp is in my garage, and provide a place in the brooder where they can go to warm up under a lamp as needed. Just as they would with a mother hen. The rest of the brooder remains cooler.

9. chickencoop789

Jul 1, 2012
    New Jersey
    I don't have any chickens of different ages. All of mine came from the same batch of eggs.
    I think everyone wants spring to come soon [​IMG]

10. Aban

Dec 22, 2013
    Pensacola Florida
    we got 4 baby chick last week and they were from one day to one week old (they are in the house with a heat source, I can see that they may be to warm though- so we are adjusting the temp to make sure that it is right at 98). We now have 2 babies left. :(

Then we have 3 young chicks that are 6 weeks old. The person who gave them to us said that they had been out in an outside coop with a heat lamp since they were a couple of weeks old. We were not really comfortable for that so we closed off one of the large nesting boxes for them to stay in the night (with a heat lamp).

There are 3 older chickens. One is a hen (just started laying in dec.) and the other 2 are about the same age but they are both roosters and we will have to find one of them another home soon so they dont fight. They use to go in and out of the coop as they wanted to thoughout the day.

Last week we were given the babies and the 6 week old chickens. We were letting the young chicks (6wk old) into the coop and letting the older chickens in the yard and just closing the door so they could stay seperated. But with the weather, we couldnt let the older ones out with the snow/ice on the ground. So we are unsure if there may be a better way to keep the chickens until the weather stops going up and down so much.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by