HELP MY BABY CHICKS ACHLLES IS DISLOCATED

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by pinkbabyhall, Feb 28, 2012.

1. pinkbabyhall

pinkbabyhall Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2012
    Glen Rock, PA
    ITS DISLOCATED AND THEY HAVE CUTS ON THE JOINT, BUT NO INFECTION.
    I HAVE TRIED TO RELOCATE THE TENDENT BUT I CANT SEEM TO DO IT. DOES ANYONE HAVE A SUGESTION.[​IMG]

2. Big Sky Chick

Big Sky Chick Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2012
    Townsend, Montana, US
    I've never done this on a chick, but here's my best suggestion. The tendon needs to be in the state of complete rest (where it is making no bend). Straighten the joint while holding the skin open with the lightest pressure possible. If it works, and I'm not sure it will, you will need to keep it that way for 3-4 days until the skin is well knitted back together. Keeping the area slightly moist with the ointment and covering will promote skin growth. For that, I would suggest a cast of sorts. I would take a small piece of gauze of triple thickness lightly dressed with ointment like Neosporin and place it directly over the skin cut. Then using vet wrap/koflex in 1/4 inch wide strips about 2 inches long, go once around the area. Then using two round toothpicks cut to be half way between the affected joint and next joint, create the rigidity by placing one pick on each side of the joint. Then using the vet wrap/koflex, wrap the area to cover the picks and create the cast.

Each day I would unwrap the whole thing and check the joint to be sure the tendon stays inside the skin and the skin is scabbed and mending with out any signs of infection (swelling, redness, putrid oder), then redress it.

And of course the chick will need to be where it will be able to rest and not be picked on. If you can put a calm buddy in with it, it will help though.

I've never done this. Similar things to larger birds after surgeries or injuries, but never such a small bird. Luckily you have the rapid growth and youth on your side.

Good luck. I hope all goes well and you have a mended chick on your hands in a week. Let us know how it goes?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by