HELP!!! MY BABY CHICK'S LEG IS NOT WORKING CORRECTLY

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chicken2628, Jul 23, 2013.

1. Chicken2628

Chicken2628 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2013
    USA
    I have a month old bantam baby, and I just let it out of the brooder 2 days ago. It was walking fine yesterday, and even following me around the coop. But today when I went in to see how it was doing, it couldn't walk right. It's leg was shaking and it couldn't really walk at all. It can stand up right, but not walk. It just flops around and rolls over. It have it back in the brooder now, and it just lays on it's back all day and sleeps, and kicks it's legs. Any help is great.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Flock Master Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would get some PolyVisol (no iron) baby vitamins a drop or two each day into him. It is possible that he has either gotten hurt or this a vitamin deficency. There is a condition called wry neck that chicks get also. Vitamin E and selenium in addition to PolyVisol are good for treatment. Here is a link: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/97121/lets-talk-wry-neck-crook-neck

3. Chicken2628

Jul 2, 2013
    USA
    OK, thank you. I was reading and thought that it might have mareks disease. That is a load off my chest.

4. Chicken2628

Jul 2, 2013
    USA
    Do you know where I could get some PolyVisol?

5. Speckledfarmer

Speckledfarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2013
    Wausau, WI
    Walgreens

6. Chicken2628

Jul 2, 2013
    USA
    Ok, thank you. And one more question, it had some hard stuff in it's nose. Would that be just from a cold, or something else?

7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Flock Master Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Does he have any other symptoms of a respiratory infection such as swelling of his face or eyes, rattles or wheezes when he breathes, eye drainage or bubbles in eyes? Chickens don't get colds, but viral or bacterial infections. Have any other birds in your flock had similar symptoms? Do you think the hard stuff in his nose is dried secretions? Sorry that your little guy is having problems.

8. Chicken2628

Jul 2, 2013
    USA
    He wheezes when he drinks, but that is the only time he does. No other bird in my flock has any symptoms. Thank you for everything. If it helps with finding out what it has, it got wet from the little waterer I have in it's pen. It was cold and shivering for a while. Is that what might have caused it?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by