1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help my baby chicks leg is purple and swollen

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Hannahloveshens, Mar 10, 2015.

1. Hannahloveshens

Hannahloveshens Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2015
    Yesterday morning I went down to my chicks and my porcelain booted bantam chick was limping I picked her up and examined her and one of her legs on the joint is swollen and purple, I think it is badly bruised but not sure she is eating and drinking but keeping her foot up by her stomach she can move it and clenches her foot around my finger when I put it near, I have separated her and have been bathing her leg in Epsom salts, we cannot take her to the vet as there is no poultry vets for miles what should I do ! The swelling is quite hard but she doesn't bother when I touch it many thanks hannahloveshens :)

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! Sorry to hear about your chicks injured leg :hugs For now I would seperate her with some food and water so she has chance to rest the bad the leg. Could she have got it caught in anything? It could be a sprain or strain of the leg. Post in the emergencies injury and cure section of the forum for further help with her. Here is the link https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures Give as much detail as you can and pics are always helpful in cases like these.

Good luck with her and I hope you can get her back to full health soon :frow

3. Hannahloveshens

Hannahloveshens Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2015
    Hi I think she may have fallen off the perch and landed funny I will go and post it in emergencies thank you so much :D

4. ChickyChickens

ChickyChickens Chickening Around

May 24, 2014
    BYC? Epic <3
    My Coop
    [​IMG]Welocme to BYC!!! It is an aweosme forum (the BEST in the world) and has a great comminity!!! Hope you have a great time and learn A LOT!

5. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! X2 on post in the Emergencies forum, hope your chick is OK.

6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome![​IMG] I'm glad you joined our community.

I'm sorry to hear about your injured chick! [​IMG]I hope the Emergencies people can help you out.

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us!

8. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Best of luck with your little chick![​IMG]

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Hope the ER folks will be able to suggest successful treatment.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by