HELP! MY BABY CHICKS OVERDOSED!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by akat424, Mar 3, 2016.

1. akat424

akat424 New Egg

Mar 3, 2016
    Bozeman, MT
    First off, hello! I'm a new user to this site(though I've looked at this a million times for questions!). I bought 20 chicks yesterday, variety of laying breeds. I made the mistake of reading the electrolytes proportion package wrong and REALLY overdosed my chicks! Three have died already today and three more are really sick!
    I replaced the water as soon as I found out and put the sick ones in a smaller heated box so they're not all run over by the other ones. I gave them fresh water in hopes to flush their little systems, but I was hoping to get any more tips to keeping them from leaving us! Anything?? Thank you so much!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC, and sorry about your chicks. How much extra did you mix them, and how long were they drinking it? Were they from a feed store, breeder, or shipped to you? Are you sure they were not already ill? Chicks shipped through the mail to you or to a feed store may suffer from shipping stress up to a week after arrival. I would make sure they are drinking the water by dipping their beaks often, and keep them warm at about 90F with a cooler spot to escape to. Don't beat yourself to death over this, but just learn from it. Let us know how they are doing.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
  3. akat424

akat424 New Egg

Mar 3, 2016
    Bozeman, MT
    I made the mistake by thinking "1 package per gallon of stock solution" was 1 package per gallon of regular water! Which means I was off by only 109 GALLONS!
    I bought them at my feed store expecting some might die of shipping stress, but none died the first 24 hrs and then they've been dropping like flies!
    1 of the 3 just passed away and the other two look a little better than the others, but now are coughing up clear mucus(I'm guessing most of it is excess water).

4. akat424

akat424 New Egg

Mar 3, 2016
    Bozeman, MT
    So I made the newbie mistake by thinking "add 1 package to 1 gal of stock solution" was to add a whole 8 ox package to 1 gal of regular water! It looked like a lot so I filled my two gallon waterer all the way... That was still 108 GALLONS OFF! So I poisoned them for a little less than 48 hrs.
    I did buy them from the feed store, but I was expecting a couple to die of shipping stress, none died yesterday, but 5 already died within 8 hours!
    An update for the three sick ones: The weakest one just passed away[​IMG] The other two look better than the previous sick chicks (drinking when I put water near them and chirping once in a while), but are coughing up clear mucus(I'm assuming mostly excess water), breathing pretty deeply and just laying here[​IMG]

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I really hope that you don't lose more. Kep us posted.

6. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    I'm assuming you used one of the large packages like this:
    http://www.mypetchicken.com/catalog/Chicken-Health/Vitamins-and-Electrolytes-p179.aspx

That would be an incredible over dose and could cause death due to the mineral content alone.

I agree with Eggcessive that all is not lost....it would totally depend on how long that water was available to them and how much they drank. (It must have been a thick consistency and might have tasted off to prevent a lot of drinking).

If they are coughing up clear fluid, it is not water. It sounds like they could be sick from a viral or bacterial infection....typically bacterial as that is what takes chicks in transit typically.

I wouldn't rule out illness rather than vitamin/mineral poisoning.

If it is due to the toxicity of the overdose, fresh water and time is all you can do, to my knowledge.

LofMc

7. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Don't beat yourself up too much. It is a bummer to make a mistake like that, and can be very costly learning experience.

Do take heart that in cases of vitamin deficiency, the treatment is 2 to 3 times normal dosage for 2 days or longer. With travel stressed chicks, many may have been low in vitamins and electrolytes which would have offset the stronger dosage.

It may have played into it (and likely did), but it may have been travel stressed helping it along as well.

Sorry for your losses (and painful learning curve).

LofMc

Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
  8. akat424

akat424 New Egg

Mar 3, 2016
    Bozeman, MT
    Thanks so much you guys! I'll let you know how they all end up! Fingers crossed...[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by