Help! My baby duck has a discolored section of feathers! Is it sick?

MakaylaSmith

Hatching
Apr 1, 2021
Hi, my husband and I are new to raising poultry, but both are from livestock families and have grown up with cattle, pigs, sheep, etc. Last fall, we got many baby chicks from a hatchery and had no trouble with them at all! We purchased 5 ducks from Tractor Supply 2 weeks ago. This morning, one had passed away in their water bowl. This bowl has been in with them for many days, but I am afraid he got in and got too cold then passed. (The bowl has been removed from their pen) I am here to ask you about another one of the ducks. It has some feathers on its back that look wet, even though it is not wet. Is this a sign of illness? We have tried to research what disease could cause this, but are having trouble. I have attached a photo. Please ignore the water in the photo as I had just gave them a new bowl and they dumped it. I immediately cleaned up their container. The ducks are about 3 weeks old. They are being fed Dumor Starter Grower (which is what they recommended at the store, let me know if you prefer something different!) and have access to clean water. They have a heat lamp on at all times. I also clean their container out daily. Please help! After this morning, I really don’t want to lose another one.

Attachments

• E4A917F4-5449-4C18-8C74-9CA39175B862.jpeg
    E4A917F4-5449-4C18-8C74-9CA39175B862.jpeg
    391.5 KB · Views: 16

Back
Top Bottom