1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help my baby duck won't stand or walk.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by pr78sb, Mar 29, 2017.

1. pr78sb

pr78sb Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2016
    My husband got me 2 baby ducks on Saturday and I noticed today that one of the ducks doesn't seem to stand or walk around. When I pick it up his feet seem to be darker and warm to the touch. What can this be and what can I do? This is my first time having ducks.

2. Ducks4us

Ducks4us Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2015
    North Idaho
    Do you gave photos?
    What are you feeding them?

3. pr78sb

Jan 16, 2016
    These are not the best pictures. I am feeding them wild game bird starter that my local feed store suggested.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Ducks4us

Mar 31, 2015
    North Idaho
    I think most wild game bird starter is too high in protein. How much does your bag say?
    To help cut the protein you can add raw oats to the feed.
    But I would buy flock raiser or all flock. 17-18% protein is best at this age. Too high protein can cause problems. Pekins grow really fast and leg problems are common
    Are you adding brewers or nutritional yeast?
    Ducklings have to have xtra niacin which is why they need the brewers yeast or nutrtional yeast.
    Add 1 tablespoon per cup of food.
    I would get this started asap. Tonight or tomorow. Ducklings grow really fast and need proper nutrition to avoid leg problems.
    I would give them short swimming sessions too to help exercie the legs without all the pressure on them

1 person likes this.
  5. pr78sb

Jan 16, 2016
    The bag doesn't say how much protein but I will add some raw oats and get different food alomg with the yeast today.I have had them swimming sessions for the last two days. Thanks for the help.

6. Ducks4us

Mar 31, 2015
    North Idaho
    Good deal [​IMG]And be sure its not baking bread yeast
    Brewers yeast or nutritional yeast is what you want.
    Keep us updated [​IMG]

7. pr78sb

Jan 16, 2016
    So yesterday morning I mixed some raw oats with their food and when I got home he was standing and walking around. I have also bought them all flock food. Thank you for the advice.

8. Ducks4us

Mar 31, 2015
    North Idaho
    Oh thats great! Glad he is improving!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by