HELP MY baby DUCKING IS WALKING ODDLY :(

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by KAZROB, Feb 8, 2014.

1. KAZROB

KAZROB Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2013
    Australia
    Hi everyone,

I had my first duckling's born almost a month ago and I noticed one walks slightly different to the other duckling, however today I went out to check as I do a few times a day and her waddle is very different and she looks as though she is having trouble keeping up and constantly stops and has a lay down...I really know nothing but on observation it appears that she is walking flat low to the ground, not with her lower legs extended as they do, it also appears as if the webbing is curling in somewhat...she is also making a bit of a noise as she walks as though she is a bit distressed, I am not sure, as she joined in with everyone and ate some lettuce etc...Mum is also very attentative to her, so I gather she is aware something is not right, what do I do and does anyone know what I may be explaining, the two ducklings are not quite 1 month old

2. subhanalah

subhanalah Overrun With Chickens

I'm no expert, but until a more qualified person comes along, in the mean time you can give them niacin supplement sprinkled on the food or dissolved in their drinking water. You can also add an electrolyte pack to their water. Unflavored pedialyte is something I use for many of my suck or distressed animals in a pinch. Make sure they stay warm and dry (but not too warm)

Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
  3. KAZROB

Nov 16, 2013
    Australia
    Thanks, but do you have any idea about the walk that she is having, just so low to the ground and from web to the jointed area just is flat like she is crawling, but she isn't, she just doesn't seem to be able to be up on her lil legs....it is sat here in AUS and I am in the rural area so no vet until Monday and they wont see a duckling after hours

4. subhanalah

I can't say for certain but from what I've been reading leg/walking problems are normally due to vitamin deficiency which is what the niacin supplement is for and the electrolytes are to help support the baby while it gives time for the vitamins to make any improvement possible.

5. KAZROB

Nov 16, 2013
    Australia
    Ok, so where would I purchase this, as the only resources I have would be a local pharmacy and that wont be until tomorrow morning. Our grain store is closed until Monday....they are fed chick starter feed...so I would have hoped that had all the right formula needed for baby ducklings, thanks for your help it is much appreciated

6. subhanalah

I don't know what's available to you, but you can add a little sugar to their water in the mean time. Niacin is often sold in the vitamins/mineral supplement aisle of the grocery stores, pharmacies, or drug stores.
    I've read that regular chick starter requires niacin supplementation since chickens don't need as much niacin as ducks do. I hope you can get everything necessary. They say if you catch it early enough, and give the proper nutritional support, they can recover and have a good life.
    Maybe someone else can come along with some better suggestions for your particular area.

7. KAZROB

Nov 16, 2013
    Australia
    your ideas are of great value and much appreciated, I am off to my local store to see if they have it in the grocery isle...thanks..I shall keep you updated :)

8. subhanalah

An unflavored (human) infant electrolyte can normally be found in the baby aisle. I hope your efforts will pay off! (I normally dilute the water with the electrolyte fluid 50/50).

Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
  9. KAZROB

Nov 16, 2013
    Australia
    OK, I feel that I have been doing the wrong thing :( I have had my ducklings on non medicated chick starter feed, since birth and they are 4 weeks old and I didn't know that I should now change to a starter/grower feed less protein.

They do eat lettuce, some bread as a treat, they get watermelon and enjoy the mince when I am feeding the chickens, oh and they love peas

I also have not been adding any Vit B such as Niacin or Brewers yeast, I was unaware and now I feel so very bad that my poor duckling has this issue because of my lack of knowledge, I will have a sleepless night I am sure tonight worrying about my first born, anyway I managed to get only a small sachet for tonight of brewer's yeast which I have sprinkled on their food, she did eat some food when I was there and so i know she has gotten some for starters and tomorrow when the shops open I will buy more brewers yeast, larger amount.

Is it in my ducklings best interest to give them Niacin in the water as well as Brewers yeast on their food or can I just add Brewers yeast to the water as well as the food?

As my duckling is 4 weeks old, from everyone's experience with such a thing does it have a good chance of survival will it survive and how long will it take to see improvement, do they improve once the supplement has commenced at a reasonable rate ...The duckling is getting around, but it resting a lot and peeping a bit, but still eating and trying to join in with all the others, just takes a lil longer to get to the desired destination..

I also have to add and say that I think she has always had a slightly different walk for some time now, I just thought perhaps it was just a different waddle, but today it is very noticeable that it is actually an issue, not a lil different . I hope I am not to late in treating my duckling, is there anymore I need to do?

1 person likes this.
  10. subhanalah

Oh my heart is aching for you right now reading this response. The brewer's yeast j's a good odea. You'll actually need to supplement all of the ducklings and not just the one having issues, to prevent any complications with your others.even if this is not the cause of your wobbly duckling, it's good you've learned about the niacin deficiency in the starter feed you have. At least you've found out before all your ducklings start showing symptoms.
    I am not sure o. The dosage of brewer's yeast, but I'm sure it's on the sticky somewhere for duck rearing?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by