HELP! My Barbu d'Anvers roo is not well

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tanyads, Jul 4, 2016.

1. tanyads

tanyads New Egg

Jul 4, 2016
    Hey everyone!

I am new to this forum, and I'm desperately asking for your help. I recently inherited a d'Anvers rooster, unsure of age and added him to my small flock. We live on a farm, so he took to his new environment well, and has been doing great.

On Friday, we celebrated Canada Day, and he seemed normal, hanging out with the hens, eating, drinking, etc. Saturday morning we noticed that he was a bit more quiet and secluded himself and seemed tired. Yesterday, he was breathing with his mouth open, discharge from the right side of his nose, and sounds congest. His appetite and bowels are still great.

We removed him from the flock and have him in his own coop since last night. We checked his crop, but he emptied it fine this morning. Still eating and drinking well. No blood or loose bowel movements.

From threads that I've read, I've consistently seem Tylan-50 being recommended for respiratory distress, but I've called all feed stores up to an hour away and no one has it.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I have no idea what happened to him. Could the fireworks in the distance stress him out to this point? It's the only unusual circumstance that had happened since we got him.

Thank you SO much in advance [​IMG]

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Welcome to BYC.
    It sounds like he has a respiratory disease.

What medications are available to you in Canada, that may be helpful in determining what to give, did any of the feed stores carry antibiotics?

Some respiratory diseases can present when a chicken is stressed or he could have been exposed to a carrier bird and is now showing symptoms.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Last edited: Jul 4, 2016
  3. tanyads

tanyads New Egg

Jul 4, 2016
    Thanks for the welcome!

The stores that I have contacted either have:

1) Super Booster, A water soluble vitamin premix medicated with penicillin G potassium and streptomycin sulfate

2) Tetracycline 250, added to drinking water or,

3) On the farm, we have Oxymycine LP (Oxytetracycline HCl), which is given to cattle in the form of injection

I am willing to drive 6 hours to and from the US to pick up Tylan-50 and VetRx, but I won't be able to do that until Wednesday, and I don't want to wait that long.

Any suggestions of what I can put on his beak to help with the mucous? I read that raw ACV with water would be helpful, tried last night and he hated me for a few seconds there. I don't want to add stress if not necessary for the little guy. He is not used to being handled so it's been a bit of a challenge.

I should also mention that we recently inherited him and he has moderate-severe scaly leg mites, but he got sick so we're trying to combat the respiratory issues prior to his legs. Would you suggest otherwise?

Thank you so, so much!!

4. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Oxytetracycline (brand name Duramycin or Terramycin) is the most common antibiotic used but it's relatively mild and won't relieve severe symptoms. Tylan is another option and it's quite a bit stronger. Considering that you aren't yet sure what you're dealing with, Oxytetracycline is probably the best choice, since it's the most broad-spectrum.

You can try warm compresses on the beak to help loosen the mucous. Does the mucous have any odor? How about the eyes, any discharge from them?

Scaly leg mite you can apply some Vaseline, coconut or olive oil to the legs, it will smother the mites (you'll need to apply every few days). If you can soak his feet/legs in a warm soapy water first, gently scrub with a soft brush - this will soften the scales and help get rid of the mite debris, dry, then put on the vaseline/oil. Since he is where you can catch/treat him, treating the SLM may be easiest to do while you have him cooped up[​IMG]

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...acycline-antibiotic-in-water/70#post_17143928
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...can-be-used-in-poultry-no-prescription-needed

Last edited: Jul 4, 2016
  5. tanyads

tanyads New Egg

Jul 4, 2016
    Thanks so much for the tips! Today is day 2 of Oxy injections, and he definitely seemed more lively today and even hunted for worms. I was able to order Tylan-50 and VetRx, and my boyfriend is picking them up from the US this week-the things we do for our lovely chickens [​IMG]

Last night was the first time I noticed an odour with the mucous, but today there is no odour. Last night I also noticed what looked like mucous in his beak after I (fought) to pick him up for meds. For all I know he could have also had a drink of water prior to me capturing him. Today, he has slight crust on his nose, but no discharge in his beak. I will definitely try warm compresses on his beak-great idea! Any suggestions on using any essential oils to help with the mucous?

No discharge from his eyes, still eating and drinking well and normal bowel movements.

We soaked his feet today in warm water and used a toothbrush to exfoliate followed by a lather of coconut oil. He seemed to really enjoy that process, haha. I'm hoping for the best since it doesn't seem like he had the best of care prior to us inheriting him.

Everything I hold him, I whisper, "You got this, Hercules" and I'm hopeful he will get past this difficult time.

6. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Glad to hear about the improvement.

I don't know enough about essentials oils to suggest anything. I think the VetRx will be helpful, I know it has a blend of oils in it and it's supposed to work well.

Eating/drinking/pooping are good signs.[​IMG]

I've never had scaly leg mites, but my rooster does get dry looking (chapped) legs/feet in the winter (more than the girls for some reason). I occasionally catch him up and clean his feet/legs and paint on a little coconut oil or a+d ointment, he seems to really enjoy the pampering.

I do hope he continues to improve.
    Please keep us updated on his progress.

7. tanyads

tanyads New Egg

Jul 4, 2016
    I'm am so glad to report that Hercules is doing much better! He is back to his normal self, and seems much happier. I've been soaking his legs, gently exfoliating with a toothbrush and coating in coconut oil-he absolutely loves it! After 4 days, there has been amazing improvement, and his legs almost look normal at this point.

Thank so much for all the help :)

8. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Sounds great!
    I suspected he would love the TLC!
    So glad that he is doing well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by