HELP MY BARRED IS GOING TO DIE

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SilkiesnFrizzle, Dec 2, 2012.

1. SilkiesnFrizzle

SilkiesnFrizzle Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2012
    Lakeland, Florida
    She had scaly leg mites, i rescued her, but even hy then ....her feet were BAD. Thiz morning she couldn't stand. So lethargic, wont drinkor eat.....breathing so lightly.

2. collisinana

collisinana Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2012
    Try sprinkling some diatomacious earth on her legs and in her bedding if you have any. Dip her beak in some water and see if she'll take it then. If you have any supplements or chicken vitamins, add them to her water.
    It is very unusual for a chicken to die from leg mites so check her over for anything else that might be causing it. Some key places to check are wings, feet, crop, rear. Also, has she been laying eggs, if not she could be egg bound which is much more serious and can cause the reaction that you have described
    To get rid of the leg mites separate her from the other chickens if you haven't already so that the mites don't spread. An easy solution to leg mites is to buy some cheap cooking oil and dunk each of her legs in it. This will suffocate the mites and they will die, though It's best to repeat this about twice a day.
    I hope this helps. Good luck. I'll be hoping the best for your hen.

3. SilkiesnFrizzle

Sep 23, 2012
    Lakeland, Florida
    I rescued her from a "breeder" ( they have no right to call themselves that) But her legs and feet were so sswollen, bloody, cracked. I did valsoline, but yeasterday she could only stand on one foot. She was making the" cheeEEep cheep cheep cheep" Lalmostnon responsive.ike she was scared or nervous. Last night she we into a corner and slept. This morning almost non responsive. Wont drink...nothing.

4. collisinana

collisinana Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2012
    I'm so sorry. I guess that's all the information I can give. If you have an eye dropper I might try getting a little down by opening her beak and dropping some down

5. SilkiesnFrizzle

Sep 23, 2012
    Lakeland, Florida
    she isnt drinking it. She hasnt layed yet. her head just dipped down and liquid came out. she is opening her beak like a tiny tiny cheep. the liquid is muscousy

6. SilkiesnFrizzle

Sep 23, 2012
    Lakeland, Florida
    her keel is protruding quite a a bit.

7. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    It sounds like the dying process has begun. If it has, there is noting that you can do for her except keep her warm and comfortable. If it hasn't begun, she is probably very dehydrated and needs fluids, but giving those properly aren't for the average chicken owner.

Read these:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...cken-and-give-subcutaneous-fluid#post_9910754
    http://forum.backyardpoultry.com/viewtopic.php?t=7933
    http://www.harrisonsbirdfoods.com/avmed/ampa/15.pdf

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by