Help!! my barred rock is super sick!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sunshineyarns, Jan 1, 2014.

1. sunshineyarns

sunshineyarns Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2011
    We got back into town a few days ago and woke up thus morning to our 3 year old lying on the ground. She has been in the nesting box more than usual since we have returned, but has come out with the others in the am. My husband let's them out in the morning but hadn't picked her up since we have been back. Anyways, she is pretty lifeless. Lost tons of weight...eyes will hardly open and she has labored breathing. I'm a mess...been giving her little bits of water with a dropper. Its NY day and the one vet in town that knows something about chickens is closed. Help!!!!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    If you have pedialyte or gatorade give her some of that and be careful she doesn't choke. Check her crop, poos, and take a lubricated gloved finger and check her vent for an egg stuck. Feel her belly too. Look for mites under her vent. Bring her in in a cage for warmth. Do you have any medications?

Last edited: Jan 1, 2014
  3. sunshineyarns

Mar 23, 2011
    I just gave her a few drops of sugar water...and moved her inside. She is so bony, I can't even tell where her crop is. But it seems empty? Her vent seems normal from the outside. havnt checked inside yet. Im here by myself with a baby right now. I only have a dewormed..no other bird meds. Petco might be open if there is anything there??

4. sunshineyarns

Mar 23, 2011
    My mom is coming over to help...please let me know if I can search for a med for our sweet Bells too! Will check her out more in a bit.

5. 11 IN THE NEST

11 IN THE NEST Just Hatched

Oct 22, 2013
    Try some baby food or eggs to get her energy up. Good luck

6. sunshineyarns

Mar 23, 2011
    She won't eat..she is very lifeless with her eyes closed. I'll try again in a few. I felt around her again too and she is so bony. What happened my poor girl?!

7. sunshineyarns

Mar 23, 2011
    What meds should I try? I got some more drops of Gatorade in her, but she won't take food. She is so skinny I can't really tell much from feeling around her. Nothing seems out of sorts.

8. lovingmyhens

lovingmyhens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2013
    Katy, tx
    I'm no expert but I've read that lots of people recommend poly vi sol drops. U get them at Walmart or any drug store.

9. hensintheHOUse

hensintheHOUse Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2013
    NewYork
    Did you check on her poops?
    As eggcessive mentioned about checking her crop and poops are important.
    I am not expert either. But they will tell us a lot of clue that some experts here help you more.

I am sorry for your hen being sick. I hope she will feel better ..

Can you load some pictures of her poops , how she looks?

Last edited: Jan 1, 2014
  10. sunshineyarns

Mar 23, 2011
    So...got some duramycin, probiotics and electrolytes and have that all going now. Just gave her her first little bit in a syringe. Her breathing is so slow and labored. She has not pooped since we pulled her inside about 7 hRs ago. I can't feel a crop...still haven't checked inside her vent.

Any other thoughts?? I'm going to keep on the meds every hour. Thanks for all your help so far!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by