Help! my barred rocks waddle and comb are completely purple!

Mason Lockshaw

In the Brooder
Sep 30, 2016
It started about a week ago, she is free range all day so i don't think its the ammonia in their coop (its cleaned regularly as well) At the moment we are re-doing their grazing area so they are wandering around the whole yard and laying under the house (where i cant get the eggs so i'm not sure if she's still laying or not). It started out as just a slight purple darkening of her normally blaze red but now it is a super dark almost black color all around! Its not cold at all here in california at the moment but we did just go through a small heat wave. We don't have many clovers in our yard at all so i don't think its that either. She is not gasping for breath or bobbing her head so i don't think anything is constricting her airways.
PLEASE HELP!!!

Welcome to BYC.

How old is she?
Can you post some photos?

If you haven't done so separate her so you can monitor her actions, food/water intake, poop and laying activity. A dog kennel or crate works well for this.

A purple comb can be an indication of not enough oxygen, heart disease or other illness.
Check her over for any signs of injury, wounds or infection. Make sure she is staying hydrated and eating.

Keep us posted.

I have no way of knowing how old she is,i rescued her and her sister from a bad situation. She is drinking normally and eating the same as well. Her poo was a little runnie but not bad this is her compared to her sister

She still seems active but it seems she has stepped down from head hen, she just follows my others around now instead of leading them

She may be declining. I can see the difference in the comb.

If you have a vet you can take a fecal sample to for a fecal float test, this may give you information if she is suffering from bacteria or worms.

Internal laying/reproductive disorders like Egg Yolk Peritonitis, Ascites, Salpingitis, cancer or tumors comes to mind. Any of these can start to place fluid/extra pressure and/or infection on internal organs that can cause an oxygen deficiency. Hens can act normal/active until they just are not able to hide it anymore. Her stepping down in pecking order is something to consider.

Keep watch on her, make sure she is drinking and eating.

The pale comb could be an indication of illness. However, it could also just mean that she is done with laying for the season. It's normal for hens that aren't actively laying to go pale in the comb.

Was just going to ask if you have felt her abdomen.

How many birds do you have?

I have three birds including her. I'm sorry im new to chickens where in the abdomen do I feel around and what for?

The pale comb could be an indication of illness. However, it could also just mean that she is done with laying for the season. It's normal for hens that aren't actively laying to go pale in the comb.

She is not pale, she turned purple. I should have stated that she is the one on the left in the first picture. Her comb is usually the color of her sisters (on the right)

Back
Top Bottom