help!my birds have coccidiosis-can't find conversion sulmet

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by oraclefarm, Jan 11, 2011.

1. oraclefarm

oraclefarm New Egg

May 18, 2010
    pittsfield, ma
    hello all,

i woke today to find a LOT of bloody stool in my brooding box. i have 2-3 month olds in the basement and they weren't exhibiting any signs of illness but now this. i assume it is coccidiosis, but my TSC sucks and they only carry sulmet 5 g oblong tablets for cattle. can i use this? and if so what on earth is the conversion? i can't find corid, and i can't seem to even locate a vet that treats livestock. i can order online, but that will take days and i don't know if i have days?

i did not know they were sick, and have not been being extra careful about handwashing or anything--can i catch this and if so, what are the symptoms? what about my dog?

please help! i am sick with panic!

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    First, calm down. Now, cocci are in the soil but your chicks are in a brooder box in the basement. Where would they have gotten cocci? Do you take them outdoors or bring soil in or something?

'Some blood in their stool is normal. Look at this poo chart and see what you think. Also, think whether you have given a treat which could cause a bloody looking stool -- a red food.

You and your dog will not get cocci.

http://www.chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?topic=17568.0

3. oraclefarm

oraclefarm New Egg

May 18, 2010
    pittsfield, ma
    whew....deep breathe. thanks for the reminder.

well, last weekend i cleaned out their brooding box, and transferred them to another box which i have used before with my other birds for the same purpose of transporting. there may have been some poop in it, but nothing major. they were only in it for a few minutes, but i guess that was enough to cross contaminate. i've never had any problems with disease, and so i guess i am naive to how careful i should have been. i just figured at nearly 3 months they would not be so vulnerable.

there are 10 birds. i've isolated one that is looking sick, but all the others are still carrying on like normal. but, the continued presence of bloody stool means at least several others have it. thank you for the poop chart, but alas, my poop is definitely very bloody and not from a different food source. maybe it isn't coccidiosis?

so, i can 2-day order some corid (at $75 with rush shipping) with the hopes that it will arrive in time, or i can go the crappy TSC and get some medicated crumbles or the sulmet oblongs (which i still can't find conversion for). what should i do?

4. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    Dog can get Cocci... Call the manufacturer.... Change the bedding and start em on medicated feed. Cocci is serious. I believe it is 2 tablespoons to one gallon of water (make fresh daily) full strenght for 3 days and 1/2 strength for 4 more... keep the shed matter away from your dog and watch him for signs of not wanting to eat. We almost lost a dog that way... 14 days in the dog hospital to figure out what it was... and they don't test for it... Good call...

5. Judy

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I found Sulmet doses for chickens between 56 and 89 mg per pound of chicken per day; I'm just guessing that your chickens are around a pound. A 5 g tablet is 5000 mg. Even if you did the math, and crushed and mixed the tablet, then gave a small amount of the resulting solution, you would have to know that the tablet dissolves well and evenly in the liquid. Especially since Sulmet is pretty rough on chicken's already damaged intestines. I suspect the manufacturer will tell you that you need to have the liquid form.

My bad, on the cocci in dogs. I am amazed. Had dogs all my life and never hears of this. So I did some research on this too:

Severe cases may see a loss of appetite. In very severe cases, vomiting may occur. Accompanied with diarrhea, this can cause severe dehydration, and some dogs may die from the infection. Most cases, however, are mild, and most of the dogs that have died from coccidiosis were also infected with another virus or bacteria simultaneously.

Most dogs are exposed to coccidia, and its resulting infection is not uncommon. Your dog or puppy will develop immunity to it in his life, and any infection in a healthy dog is usually unheard of by the adult years.

From a website called Vetinfo.

I don't know whether your birds have cocci or not. Medicated feed would be a good idea if there are cocci in your area, but it's not going to be enough amprolium to treat an infestation. Also, not all medicated feed is medicated with amprolium, sometimes it's an antibiotic, and since cocci are a protozoa, an antibiotic isn't going to affect cocci. I'm really not sure what I would do. I might see if I could get my vet to do a fecal.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2011
  6. startingover

startingover Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Northern Kentucky
    Your TSC should have small 5 pound bags of Manna Pro medicated feed or the 50# Start and Grow. There is also the Duramycin there in the package that you can mix with the drinking water. It will be right next to the electrolytes.

7. Judy

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Duramycin won't kill cocci.

8. LaurelRidgeDreams

LaurelRidgeDreams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2010
    Mountains of NC
    My vet had corid. He must use it for dogs and cats. Maybe you could get some from a vet tomorrow.

9. Brody's Broodello

Brody's Broodello Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2009
    Maryland
    Liquid corid works super fast, if you use that it is 9 ccs per gallon of water.

10. oraclefarm

oraclefarm New Egg

May 18, 2010
    pittsfield, ma
    thank you everyone. i've got them on corid and am using 1 tsp. of the 20% powder per gallon. does that sound right?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by