bpurdy303

In the Brooder
Feb 8, 2017
Ok, so I have a small assorted flock of 10 pet hens and 1 rooster. the suspect bird is a 3yr old white rock. I know she came from a questionable home. I got her when she was approx 1 yr old. Occasionally over the past two years (maybe two or three times a year) she gets "under the weather" ;bubbly eye.. but that's pretty much IT no other symptoms at all. lays great, eats like a pig and I have never isolated her and none of my other birds have caught it. Well about a month ago I notice her in the corner of the coop all the time (very unlike her) And all my birds free range. Well she is BLIND. Zero response to stimulus. Anyway, she is still alive. She has lost weight which I partially attributed to possibly not being able to find it. So she has a special pen now, near her friends, but where they cannot chase her off from food. OR perhaps because it seems to her that it is ALWAYS nighttime and she sleeps all day. BOTTOM LINE: I hope this is not contagious! AND I dont know what to do with my poor hen "Tater" I don't want her to starve to death or spread disease but I think somedays she gets along pretty well despite the blindness. FYI) THIS IS NOT RELATED TO A LACK OF NUTRITION, AT LEAST NOT SINCE IVE HAD HER. OR LACK OF CLEANLINESS.

she is blind in both, but i wonder if she will starve herself sleeping all day??
Yup I saw that. If she can’t see the food and it always seems like night that is probably what is happening.
If I were you I would put her down so she doesn’t suffer any more. She will probably just starve herself to death. Maybe you could teach her to find the food and water dishes and keep her awake during the day. Maybe she would learn and be fine and could tell the difference between day and night.
:hugs

Back
Top Bottom