Help, my bobwhite chick, something is wrong!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Liexicof15, Jul 20, 2010.

1. Liexicof15

Liexicof15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2010
    Tampa
    Please, any advice would be great. I hatched a single bobwhite quail 9 days ago, none of the other eggs developed and he is in with day old silkie chicks for company. He was doing absolutely great until last night, eating, drinking, pooping, and had good coordination. Now, He is acting sleepy and when he falls asleep standing up, his head tilts until it touches the floor and then he does a front roll. And it is worse this morning, all he does is flip and front roll. What could be wrong? He was fine until last night, and I've changed nothing about the environment. They are on paper towels kept at 95 degrees F, plenty of water and feed. No picking is going on at all. Please help!

Last edited: Jul 20, 2010
  2. chickenwhisperer

chickenwhisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2007
    Chicken Country, U S A
    Sounds normal, they sleep alot as young chicks, and falling asleep standing up is nothing out of the ordinary.

3. Liexicof15

Jul 13, 2010
    Tampa
    No, I've seen it sleep before, and it has been rolling and flipping almost all day. It's just getting worse as the day goes on. Like it's head is too heavy to hold up, it's walking with it's head on the ground and then flipping and rolling violently. And now it's not even opening it's eyes anymore at all. This came on very suddenly and is just getting worse. It seems to be suffering.

4. Whitehouse Quail

Whitehouse Quail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Michigan
    If it's suffering and it's just one chick, it may be a deformity you can't see. Wait a day, and if nothing's happening, cull it.

That's what I would do, anyways. Good luck! [​IMG]

5. chickenwhisperer

chickenwhisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2007
    Chicken Country, U S A
    K, so thats a different scenario from the first post . . .

That does not sound normal.
    Could be alot of things from incorrect incubation parameters to disease . . .
    Check its vent, make sure it isnt pasted up.
    Is it drinking?

Sad to say, at the point where a young chick shows weakness, its usually already to late . . .

Here is a pdf that discusses raising specifically bobwhites, and lists some diseases/symptoms . . .

6. Liexicof15

Jul 13, 2010
    Tampa
    A fellow quail friend told me the other day that bobwhite's are hard because a lot of them develop neurological problems early on. I thought I was in the clear because this chick was acting perfect until last night. Eating, drinking, and pooping fine. There is no paste build up either. Even last night when this first started it would still walk around with eyes open and eat and drink. Now it's eyes won't open and it's seems intent on sleeping on top of its head and then flips wildly. No other physical signs or symptoms, except I have not seen it eat or drink today since it won't open its eyes. Such a bummer that it does now seem to be neurological and I can't fix that..... [​IMG]

7. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Is it possible it's dehydrated or overheated?

8. Liexicof15

Jul 13, 2010
    Tampa
    I've showed it how to use the water several times on day one, and I've seen it drink since. All the other chicks are fine and they're silkies. The warmest it gets is 95 degrees F. I just don't think it's anything I could fix. The neurological problem makes sense. I have culled it because I couldn't stand to watch it suffer. Although I am upset, it was the right thing to do. Maybe I'm just a sensitive person, but it was my pet. Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

9. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    So sorry. It's amazing how attached we get to them, and how quickly.

10. Quail's Hollar Farm

Quail's Hollar Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Don't worry about it too much, these things happen especially with quail. Just keep it warm an hydrated. There is nothing else you can do. just wait and see.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by