Help! My broody hen pecked o hole in my chicks head!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by feather1, Apr 26, 2016.

1. feather1

feather1 New Egg

Apr 26, 2016
    I have a broody hen that has hatched a couple chicks but she favors the oldest (by 2 days). The one she pecked in the head is 3 days old now and I had to separate her because i noticed the hen wasn't letting her eat. What can i put on the other chicks wound, the hole is just behind her eye. Also, should i remove the older chick as well? I was planning on separating any of the other ones if they hatch.

2. nchls school

nchls school Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2015
    One chick 5 days old, another 3 days old, and she is brooding eggs still? Normally the eggs all hatch around the same time so they are about the same size. In this case one chick is larger. The hen probably sees the older chick as hers and the younger one another hens that she is trying to drive away. And more eggs? The hen is still brooding a nest? If so the situation is confusing the hen to where she does not know what's up.

Wash the wound well and use an antibiotic cream on it.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
  3. feather1

feather1 New Egg

Apr 26, 2016
    Thank you, I talked to the fiance and i guess they're only a day apart and the older is 3 days, unfortunately I'm out of town so I'm getting second hand information. I thought it was odd too that there is still eggs unhatched in there I'm assuming they're bad but I don't get home till today to check. Thanks for your help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by