Help! My Broody is "in labor" !

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Barry Natchitoches, Nov 8, 2011.

1. Barry Natchitoches

Barry Natchitoches Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2008
    Tennessee
    I have Trudy, my little broody, in a dog cage in the spare bedroom, so that she could hatch her clutch without all the interferance and hassle of other hens messing with her. We moved her last Friday evening.

Anyway, she was standing outside her nest about 40 minutes ago, and I figured no problem, she's taking her half hour feed, water and poop break. I just crept out of the bedroom as quietly as I went in.

But about 10 minutes ago, I crept back in to find she was laying in the nest again -- but three of her 10 eggs were now kicked out of the nest.

I wasn't sure if this was an accident -- or if she had a reason for doing it -- so, just in case it was an accident, I went in to gently place them back under her wing.

When I was in there, I heard the distinct (though soft) sound of a little peep!

I didn't SEE anything. But I know I heard a single, soft peep!

Does this mean that there is a live bird somewhere under her wings? Or does it just mean that there is a little baby who is beginning to pip her way out of her shell?

I guess the best thing for me to do right now is nothing at all, right? Trust Trudy the Broody to do her job?

I feel like an expectant father, pacing the waiting room outside the maternity ward, waiting to find out how things are going in the delivery room!

2. oldorchardfarms

oldorchardfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2011
    woodstock
    Well i had the same question before and what i found out is yes your hearing peeping but it is not from a baby out of his egg, it is from the chick in INSIDE the egg lol. go sit and relax you they will come in time, keep your faith in your hen I know how hard it can be. keep us posted.

3. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I also think the chick internally pipped and you heard the chick in the egg. [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. King Bertie

King Bertie Out Of The Brooder

Nov 6, 2011
    New Zealand
    yeah, probably in the egg. When they're out the cheep is actually quite loud! A couple of days ago my broody hatched her eggs and I was inpatient and peeked under her and there was one really smooshed up egg ( always when I've hatched eggs before they are pretty much neatly in halfish!) I felt sure this one must be dead, but didn't want to disturb her at such an important time! I MADE [​IMG] myself wait an hour then went back and lo and behold the wee chick was hatched and totally fine!
    Nature knows what it's doing!! honest [​IMG]

5. Barry Natchitoches

Barry Natchitoches Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2008
    Tennessee
    Trudy is just sitting there today.

I know that she has eaten (and probably drank) because my wife put some crushed, boiled egg in the cage this morning, and most of that egg is now eaten.

But she has not pooped (at least, not that we know of -- she'd have had to do it in the nest and under her feathers, cuz we can see and smell everywhere else and there is no sign of a poop anywhere).

Anyway, I have not heard another peep, even though I listen carefully everytime I go in to check on things.

And momma broody is just sitting there, not moving except to watch me. And she's covering everything up with her beautiful blond feathered wings...

6. oldorchardfarms

oldorchardfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2011
    woodstock
    well good luck and please let us know when they hatch

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by