1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HELP!! my broody took a large duty*Gross Graphic pics*

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by S n M Poultry, Apr 21, 2008.

1. S n M Poultry

S n M Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2007
    Riverside,CA
    I took my broody modern hen out of her cage to she can walk around for a little bit. When i set her down she kinda squated and started shaking her booty. At first i thought she was dancing [​IMG] A few seconds later she blew up literally. This is what came outa her: [​IMG]

Here is a closer look.........
    [​IMG]

Im not sure but is that blood in the middle? Is this normal? Im kinda woried about her.

2. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Ok, that's GROSS!!!!! :| I have heard mention that broody poop is the worst. Hopefully someone will have answers for you.

3. LinckHillPoultry

LinckHillPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    That appears to be blood.

And that is one large turd. I'd be concerned. I've never seen a birds poo look like that.

4. S n M Poultry

Aug 31, 2007
    Riverside,CA
    Is she gonna be ok? Please help me.

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Just looks like "broody poop" to me. Since they're setting all day on the nest they don't take a poo every 5 minutes, so when they do go it's nasty!

6. LeeLeesFarm

LeeLeesFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2008
    So. California

Did egg shell drop out with that mess too ?? [​IMG] Looks like it in the photo. Yikes!

Lee

_______

7. S n M Poultry

Aug 31, 2007
    Riverside,CA
    Quote:No it wasent egg shells it was shavings.

Katy is she gonna be ok?

8. Nupine

Nupine Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2007
    Ohio
    That is GROSS!!!!! But any brody poop is by far the worst smell.

9. chcknrs

chcknrs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Kelso, WA
    I had read that broody poop is large and stinky, but the pic, even tho gross, helps me to realize how bad it will be. Thank you for posting a gross graphic pic. Think of it as a learning tool for some of us.

10. Iluvmychickens

Iluvmychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2007
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I have never seen poop like that. i have 2 broodys hens right now & when they come off the nest their poop looks nothing like that. Theirs is as big as a golf ball with a nice white cap and a hugh brown end. And it does smell horrible. Hope there is nothing wrong with the hen

DeeDee

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by