Help - my Buff Orp. hasn't laid in 4 days! Could something be wrong?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MaryannCochin, Feb 13, 2012.

1. MaryannCochin

MaryannCochin New Egg

Feb 13, 2012
    My buff orpington will be a yr old in April. She started laying in October and has laid every day or every other day since. Our other 3 hens that are the same age just started laying within the past month (white cochin, blue cochin and dominique). Our buff hasn't laid an egg in 4 days! She has never gone more than 2 days. I am worried that something could be wrong with her? She is eating and drinking and seems normal otherwise. The weather here in NorCal is about the same as it has been for a couple months and I'm guessing light is no longer an issue since the 3 others just started laying. The last time she laid an egg I was a bit concerned bc she sat for a while, came out then went back in and was in there for a long time. Normally she is a really fast layer. But she did manage to lay one that time - it had a bit of clear goo on it when it came out. Never seen that before.

So do you think something could be wrong? Or is it normal for chickens to take a break sometimes? Could the fact that the 3 others started laying have anything to do with how often she lays now??

Thanks for you help,
    Cindy

2. bigspringshatchery

bigspringshatchery Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Roanoke Alabama
    Chickens take a break. Mine took about a 4 month break. Even when they get in the swing of it again, most all hens will lay for a while and then take a break. I wouldnt worry about it

3. chickchicks

chickchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2011
    warrington uk
    chickens do tend to take a break . my buff orp is on strike .
    they havent laid in months both of them! they went broody raised chicks went in to moult then winterwith the long nights so i havehad nothing in avery longtime !!!!

just make sure they are healthy and give them a look over. butall chickens do tend to have abreak now nad then or go on strike [​IMG]

4. MaryannCochin

MaryannCochin New Egg

Feb 13, 2012
    Thanks! I had no idea they took a break. She does not act egg bound - she isn't squatting or going anywhere near the nesting box. I think my only concern still is the clear goo on her last egg. I don't recall ever seeing that on an egg before. Not sure if I don't often get there fast enough or what but in my reading I heard of chickens getting a shellless egg stuck inside and having egg white come out. Does this sound far fetched? Or is the goo normal too?

Thanks again!

Cindy

5. chickchicks

chickchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2011
    warrington uk
    theclear go on the eggs .... im not 100% on this as i my self is learning but my warrens everytime they lay an egg they have little bit onthe eggs as i collect themstraight waway as they lay just before i go to open thecoop for the day - early layers!

if i was to wait and pick them up later on the goo is gonme

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by