Help! My Button Quail Has A Bloody Gouge On His Back!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Feather Hearts, Apr 4, 2018.

1. Feather Hearts

Feather Hearts Crowing

Oct 4, 2016
    Northland, New Zealand
    My male dilute button quail Creeper (which is to my knowledge a rare mutation) has a bloody gouge on his back. I'm terrified! I was just going to give my momma hen Misty and her baby Pebbles some water (they are living in the same aviary as the button quail for the time being) and I noticed he had a patch of red on his back! I picked him up and he wriggled to try get out of my hand, but then I noticed that he had a patch of exposed bloodied flesh! I'm very scared for him! What can I do? I'll try taking some pics of the wound. My only guess as to what It could be is momma hen? Her baby is way more active now, and hes been walking around the aviary, so maybe Creeper got in the way? I couldn't see any blood on her beak? Please help!

2. mew317

mew317 Chirping

Feb 9, 2018
    Even though I’m new, I think you should put some (I like chickens but I ain’t on types of medicine sorry) medicine on it, take him inside and put him in a cage until it heals. If it doesn’t heal in the next few days, try something else. If it heals, let him back outside and see what happens. There, that’s all I can say, bye!

Feather Hearts likes this.
  3. micstrachan

micstrachan Free Ranging

Please separate your injured bird ASAP or mama hen may kill him. Sorry to sound so dramatic, but would hate for you to lose him. As far as the wound, a photo would help. I would flush it with saline and then apply antibiotic ointment. I’m sure others here will jump in to help.

4. Redhead Rae

Redhead Rae Chickens, chickens everywhere!

Jan 4, 2017
    Braxton County, WV
    To prevent further injury you can cover the wound in BluKote. It is an antiseptic that stains so it hides the color of blood (red) from the other birds. I don't know if quail are prone to pick at red, but chickens are.

5. mew317

mew317 Chirping

Feb 9, 2018
    My second advice is keep him away from the momma hen and her chick and make sure he goes NOWHERE near them. Momma hens are prone to protect babies and will fight anything to protect them. Just, put some things suggested above and see what will happen. Also, can you post a picture so we can see the poor thing?

6. Feather Hearts

Feather Hearts Crowing

Oct 4, 2016
    Northland, New Zealand
    Thankyou for all the advice! I accidentally double posted! I found a website called 'Organic poultry keeping' or something like that, and the person who runs it had made an article about how he or she treats open wounds. The recipe for the wound cleanser is:
    1 cup warm water
    Five drops lavender oil
    Five drops tea tree oil
    The writer says that he or she uses it for all poultry, so I'm really hoping it'll work until I can get something proper.
    So I was going out to get the most docile button quail, to keep Creeper company for the night, It's around seven pm at night her, but then I saw another button quail, an Ivory girl named Rosie, had a gouge on her back too! I picked them all up and bought them inside and put them all in the carrier cage I have. I only have one carrier cage and It's pretty small. I used lavender
    antiseptic to coat the wounds before I went to bed.

7. Feather Hearts

Feather Hearts Crowing

Oct 4, 2016
    Northland, New Zealand
    As of now, in New Zealand (the place I live) It's nearly seven am. I have to to my dad's house today, as my mum and dad have divorced, but I don't know what to do with my quail... I going to dad's for the weekend and he has two cats that are really good hunters. My dad also doesn't really like me bringing mu quail... One time in the holidays I bought some ducklings for the week and dad was not happy about that! My mum has looked after my quails when they were just babies (I raised them using a hot water bottle) mum. But to be honest, I'm just really worried that the feral pet shop quail, will just slip out of Mum's hands? What to I do with them? I have all day to figure it out before I go to dad's.

I'll get some pics of him when it's lighter and I've had my breakfast thanks for all the help you guys, I really appreciate it.:hugs

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: