Help! My cat injured a chick

Candy11

Songster
9 Years
Apr 16, 2014
My cat injured a 1 week old chick. Her back has a chunk torn out of it and she's bleeding. What can I do to save her? She's peeping and still alert. Help!

Attachments

• 20200508_104453.jpg
    20200508_104453.jpg
    258.3 KB · Views: 24
Sorry about your chick. Try to stop the bleeding with a little pressure with a tissue or cloth for a few minutes. What have you got for first aid? Vetericyn wound spray, chlorhexidene and water, saline, or just plain mild soap and water can be used. Then when dry, apply plain Neosporin or similar antibiotic ointment to the wound. Leave it open. Place her on a clean towel in a dog crate with food and water secured to the front. Keep her from flies. Offer her water and food soon, since she could get dehydrated. Keep her warm.

Sorry about your chick. Try to stop the bleeding with a little pressure with a tissue or cloth for a few minutes. What have you got for first aid? Vetericyn wound spray, chlorhexidene and water, saline, or just plain mild soap and water can be used. Then when dry, apply plain Neosporin or similar antibiotic ointment to the wound. Leave it open. Place her on a clean towel in a dog crate with food and water secured to the front. Keep her from flies. Offer her water and food soon, since she could get dehydrated. Keep her warm.

Try to use a non-stick wound pad or trauma pad. It looks bad, but I think it is just surface. The more moist you can keep the wound, the faster it will heal. You can use things like Eggcessive mentioned for moisture. Try to keep her within visual distance of the other chicks, but separated by some sort of barrier as they will try to pick at her. If you can manage a way to wrap her with a small piece of trauma pad and vet wrap that would help immensely with keeping it moist. I had a chick with a much more truamatic skin wound than that (we don't know what caused it) and she survived! The issue I had with her was digging at the wound. Watch her that she isn't making herself worse.

Back
Top Bottom