Help my chick can't walk

chickster5003

Songster
6 Years
Sep 1, 2013
So my chicks hatched today and one of the chicks only on one legs joint is swollen and red and he can't walk on it cause it's too stiff. Someone please help me.

Can you describe it a little more? Newborn chicks need a little time to get their footing. Is he on something that is not slippery? That is really important for getting their footing. Paper towel or pine shavings is much better than newspaper. Do you have any chick vitamins or PolyVisol baby vitamins. Some leg and foot problems are genetic and some are vitamin deficiencies from birth. Check to see that he doesn't have splay leg or a slipped tendon that might prvent walking. Here is a good link to help with foot problems: https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry

I read the website and it's seems as he has slipped tendon and he hatched around 12:00 I don't know what to do I did what they said which was to push his leg back as he was stretching and it made a little pop he didn't scream or anything so I guess it could be a good thing do u thing he needs a brace or something

I would just continue to work with him on standing and making sure that he doesn't need a hobble as splay leg chicks need to stand. Give him rest time and makes sure he gets vitamins. I have only had a splay leg chick before not slipped tendon. The woman that writes the website Poultry Pedia is on BYC, and you can probably PM her.

Back
Top Bottom