1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help! My chick has a broken leg!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by BasqueLover, Feb 4, 2014.

1. BasqueLover

BasqueLover Out Of The Brooder

Feb 4, 2014
    California
    My blue silkie has a broken leg. She was shipped to me like that. She cant walk so please tell me what to do! California Hatchery is the worst hatchery. I recommend NOT going there![​IMG] I ordered 15 chicks and only 7 came to me ALIVE. So she is my last blue silkie and my favorite, so please help. Do i have to put her down? Thank you.

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Unless you know how to set a broken leg , or have chicken farmers near you (who may know how)I would take her to a vet

3. x2

Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

X3 I would take her to a vet to have the leg set. Shipping birds is hard on them and you do take your chances when you order thru the mail. I am so sorry.

But I do welcome you to BYC and good luck with your new babies!

5. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    How old is the chick(en)? Is the leg broken or dislocated? Where is the fracture? She can't walk at all? Are both legs broken?

6. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! X5 on take her to the vet if you can, and try posting on the Emergencies board for what to do until then. Good luck with her.

1 person likes this.
  8. TeacherMedic

TeacherMedic Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2014
    NC
    I had a bird come in with a hurt leg. The other chicks were pecking it to death. We separated it from the other chicks and gave fresh water, food and heat. It soon recovered and is doing very well.

1 person likes this.
  9. Ducky Lover

Ducky Lover Out Of The Brooder

Feb 2, 2014
    Texas
    So sorry! Lots of hatcherys can send you more chicks if the others die in shipment. If you're sure it's broken (the leg) and not just injured, then call the vet. I have a good vet here in texas, I could ask her to find someone in Cal. for you. Real sorry.[​IMG]

10. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us! I'm sorry about your injured Silkie; unfortunately, I don't have experience with broken chicken legs and can't really help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by