Help! My chick has a broken leg!

BasqueLover

In the Brooder
5 Years
Feb 4, 2014
California
My blue silkie has a broken leg. She was shipped to me like that. She cant walk so please tell me what to do! California Hatchery is the worst hatchery. I recommend NOT going there!
somad.gif
I ordered 15 chicks and only 7 came to me ALIVE. So she is my last blue silkie and my favorite, so please help. Do i have to put her down? Thank you.

Unless you know how to set a broken leg , or have chicken farmers near you (who may know how)I would take her to a vet

images

X3 I would take her to a vet to have the leg set. Shipping birds is hard on them and you do take your chances when you order thru the mail. I am so sorry.

But I do welcome you to BYC and good luck with your new babies!

How old is the chick(en)? Is the leg broken or dislocated? Where is the fracture? She can't walk at all? Are both legs broken?

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! X5 on take her to the vet if you can, and try posting on the Emergencies board for what to do until then. Good luck with her.

I had a bird come in with a hurt leg. The other chicks were pecking it to death. We separated it from the other chicks and gave fresh water, food and heat. It soon recovered and is doing very well.

So sorry! Lots of hatcherys can send you more chicks if the others die in shipment. If you're sure it's broken (the leg) and not just injured, then call the vet. I have a good vet here in texas, I could ask her to find someone in Cal. for you. Real sorry.
sad.png

welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined us! I'm sorry about your injured Silkie; unfortunately, I don't have experience with broken chicken legs and can't really help.

Back
Top Bottom