Help my chick is dying

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chickycat, Aug 13, 2010.

1. Chickycat

Chickycat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Bristow, Indiana
    I have two polish chicks, 5 weeks old. One was attacked last weekend at Chickenstock, and is doing great, but now all of a sudden the other one is dying. I hold them every morning and evening. Yesterday morning it was active and alert. Last night it was hunched up. I checked the vent it is clean. I thought maybe it was cold from the air so shut the vent and put a light closer to them. This morning he was a little more active. Tonight, I get home and he can barely hold his head up or keep his eyes open. I got him to take some sugar water, but he will not eat, and he feels like he has lost all of his weight. Help. All the other chicks I got at Chjickenstock are doing great. I have kept the two polish separate as they are the youngest and the others were picking on them, so I keep them separated. Please help. I do not know if he will make it through the night.

2. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Sounds like it may have Cocci. Do you see any pink/reddish streaks or tinting in the feces?

3. Chickycat

May 12, 2010
    Bristow, Indiana
    I don't think he is going to make it. He is now gasping for breath.

4. greenfamilyfarms

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    I'm so sorry. I wish I had seen this thread earlier. [​IMG]

5. Chickycat

May 12, 2010
    Bristow, Indiana
    Quote:Most of the feces looks normal, but there are a couple that look mucusy and pinkish/red.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2010
  6. Chickycat

May 12, 2010
    Bristow, Indiana
    Quote:I only posted 30 minutes ago, so probably would not make any difference. I am holding him right now and he is totally lethargic, cannot keep his eyes open, or hold his head up.

7. greenfamilyfarms

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    That does sound like Cocci, though. Here is some more information. If that one has it, the other probably has it, too. Some feeds are medicated, such as some chick starters. Coccidiosis is a disease that can kill chicks that have not built up a resistance to it. They can pick it up outside from the droppings of other birds. If your chicks go outside you may want to give them a feed medicated with Amprolium, which controls the coccidiosis while allowing the birds to build up a resistance.

http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department/deptdocs.nsf/all/agdex4616

http://www.millerhatcheries.com/Information/Diseases/coccidiosis.htm

8. Chickycat

May 12, 2010
    Bristow, Indiana
    I just looked in good lighting, and all the feces looked fine. The other one just pooped and it was firm, brown, and white.

9. Chickycat

May 12, 2010
    Bristow, Indiana
    Quote:Thank you. I just got these chicks last weekend, and they are being kept inside, and they are separate from the older silkies and silkie mixes I got, which are also being kept inside

10. Chickycat

May 12, 2010
    Bristow, Indiana
    Well, it is definite. His last feces was just a bunch of blood and water. Heis fading fast and will not make it through the night. It is just breaking my heart.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by