Help! My Chick is Dying!!

broodyemma

Hatching
11 Years
Mar 22, 2008
I think my 4 week old sex link is dying. She is wheezing very hard and laying down all alone. What to do??? They are my first chickens.

They are inside my house, they are eating a grain mix we got from a local chicken farm and granite chick grit and they are drinking water. All the others seem fine and that chick is also on and off again fine and seems to be eating/ drinking OK too. They flew the coop today too and were running around my back room (if that helps). It came on all of a sudden. I looked down her throat and she looks clear. TIA

Is this an unlabeled "house" feed? If so then it is not medicated and being in the house will not prevent cocci. A commercial chick starter does not recquire grit.

Yes, it is unmarked- we wanted to go organic and this was what our feed store recomended for that option.

I understand that cocci is not curable can I avoid the other chicks catching it? Is it contagous?

Quote:
I do not know what gave you that idea...it is totally curable but it hits hard and quick and if you do not use medicated starter this is what happens. Go to your feed store and get the med they have for cocci and follow the directions on that.

Back
Top Bottom