help! my chick is pecking the eyes of his new mates.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MaryFrances, Mar 17, 2011.

1. MaryFrances

MaryFrances Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2009
    Clarkesville, GA
    I have one little orphan chick that needs a little flock and a new home. I am sure it has some fighting cock in its' background; the wild flock is at the office and I love feeding and watching them.

Today I was given three to add to mine: one Rhode Island Red, one Plymouth Rock, one buff colored chicken. I was told they are meat birds. When I put them together, my little one, half the size, keeps trying to peck at the eyes of the others. The three bigger ones huddle on the other side of the box. Will this improve or should I give these chicks back? I don't need two separate sets of chicks! These new ones don't move much and the little game hen doesn't stop moving.

Help! This little chick is going to do me in. I just want to give him a little flock and let him go to someone who has the room for him.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2011
  2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

This is VERY normal behavior for young chicks. They check everything with their beaks (because they don't have any hands or fingers with which to grab things) by pecking. They are particularly attracted to shiny objects, such as other chicks' eyes.

The behavior generally stops with a week or so.

3. MaryFrances

MaryFrances Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2009
    Clarkesville, GA
    So it'll be safe for these gentle, bigger chicks to be in with the little game chick? I saw him nail the eye of one of the slower ones. He won't hurt them? Is there a chance they'll be friends?

4. wbruder17

wbruder17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    They will usually get used to each other fairly soon and stop the picking. They need to establish the pecking order. Like most small dogs, I think the banties are a little more spry and assertive. If there is no blood or visual injuries, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

5. Badbaby05

Badbaby05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    Try a red light also [​IMG] Sometimes will calm down crazy behaviour

6. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Put a paper towel down and sprinkle some food on top of it. It might give her a diversion. It's a natural chick instinct to peck at specks that might be food on the ground.

Every time I raise chicks and they do that curious pecking of each other's eyes it makes me twitch. I'm always glad when they outgrow that! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Watch your own eyes when they get larger if your sitting on the ground or holding them. Or any small children in the family or visiting. They'll also peck at people's eyes, out of curiosity. Those large beaks can cause damage.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2011
  7. ctrway

ctrway New Egg

May 31, 2015
    Deer Park Washington
    I need some help here! One of my chicks has some shiny floaty specks on her almost looks like glitter but a little longer. Does anyone know what it is?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by