Help My Chick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ALRwild

Songster
9 Years
Jul 9, 2010
Idaho
I have six chicks, and two of my chicks have begun to peck at one of the others foot. The poor chicks foot has been pecked at so much that there is now a big bloody splotch on its foot! I know this can be a sign of boredom, but no matter what I do they still pick at her! Please Help!!!!!!!!!!!!

Separate and stop the bleeding asap. Chickens don't clot well, so bleeding can be a real problem. Before putting chick back in with the others, be sure to use some Blu Kote on the injured spot. Using a q-tip will work on small areas, but it needs to completely cover the open/bloody spot. It took me two nights to put my one back in the with others after she had some bloody tail feathers, just to be safe. And they had plenty of room and we keep them entertained, so not sure what happened, but it can happen fast. Good luck!

If you don't have the powders designed to stop bleeding you can put flour on it.... one the bleeding has stopped definately use the blukote works wonders! It they are bored try rearranging the brooder, giving more space, adding a new toy (any new object for them to check out), treats depending on their age, etc... or they may need some more room in the brooder, if that isn't possible and it is a space issue you may want to consider adding a second brooder so they can be divided to gain more space. Good luck, most injuries like this if caught quickly will heal quickly!

Back
Top Bottom