help! my chicken attacks!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Jenn321, May 9, 2009.

1. Jenn321

Jenn321 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2009
    Middletown, DE
    HELP! one of my pullets (around 4 months) has started attacking us for no apparent reason [​IMG]. it first happened when my mom went to collect a loose feather in front of her and she pecked my mom's hand. my chicken has attacked me 5 times, all of them on my feet. (i like to walk around bare-foot sometimes) i think that since the time is growing near for them to start laying eggs, she might be getting aggresive about eggs a little too early. can this be helped, is this something like a chicken mood swing?

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Is she drawing blood? Do you have polish on your toes? Chickens like shiny things. They peck at my diamond ring all the time.

3. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    Are you sure it's a pullet? Sounds like a hormonal roo!

4. joanc

joanc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2007
    Shafer, MN
    Pick her up and walk around with her. Stroke her around the head and breast areas. I have done this with my girls and they have gotten used to my hands being around those areas. Now when I check for eggs underneath them when they are in the nest boxes they don't peck at me anymore. At least, not as much [​IMG]
    You've got to remind them who's the boss! Gently, though.
    Good luck.

5. Jenn321

Jenn321 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2009
    Middletown, DE
    acually, she goes for the skin, mostly around the base of my toes, where the skin is soft. she doesn't make me bleed, it just leaves a red mark. but it really hurts [​IMG] i find myself moving my feet whenever she gets near them [​IMG] oh, btw, she hatched around Jan 29, so she and my other pullets are supposed to start laying next month. i think this is a hormonal thing, i never try to scare her with my feet or anything like that, so she doesn't have a reason to go after them. is there such a thing as chicken puberty?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by