Help my chicken can't get rid of the infection where the guinnas attacked her

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by egg xactly, Dec 14, 2014.

1. egg xactly

egg xactly Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2013
    [​IMG]. My chicken got attacked by guinnas 6 weeks ago. I can't get the infection Cleared up no matter what I try. Amoxicillin oxytetracycline in her food or water. She is a fighter I hate to give up

2. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    That actually looks like it could be a disease, like Infectious Coryza perhaps. You need the right antibiotic, using the wrong one or in too low a dose only makes pathogens stronger. IC can show in only one side of the face. She could have suffered enough stress under the guinea attack to cause her immune system to be dominated by the disease, or she could have been attacked because she was already sick and they knew it before she showed signs.

Quote: If it's not IC or something similar, a vet visit is necessary I reckon because the only physical cause of such long-term infection and swelling would likely be severe internal damage and almost certainly embedded foreign objects.

Best wishes and good luck.

3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
  4. egg xactly

Mar 13, 2013
    Thanks so much. I am sure it's infection because it swelled the next morning after she got attacked. Her head and neck were bloody Tonite we tried to cut a place on the bottom of the swollen area like the did in that web site but it just bled and I'm too big of chicken no pun meant so I guess I will try to find a vet cause she is such a trouper and eats and acts fine. But don't have a clue where to find a vet near that treats poultry.

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Do a google search for avian vet.

-Kathy

6. egg xactly

Mar 13, 2013
    Thanks so much for all the help I thought I would update you on how the chicken is doing . I took her to an avian vet clinic but it took two trips the first vet there didn't specialize in chickens but she tried and made a small incision and flushed some hard granule of infection out( $154) and had us washing out her wound with antiseptics soapy water. Of course I couldn't find a syringe that worked!
    I went back and the other vet that was there was an avian vet he made a bigger incision and showed me how to flush it out (3-4 times a day). He also gave me a syringe with a long thin plastic Needle like tip and he gave us a different anabiotic to wash it out with called NIX-ALL he said it lasts about three hours but it really is the only thing that he thinks will clear the ugly infection out inside
    The first vet also gave us expensive antibiotic called veraflox and I'm giving 8 drops of that in her food that I fix her which is a scrambled egg with the little cottage cheese and some bread.
    So Far she is looking better still infected but more of her eye is showing and she eats and drinks as soon as we treat her. Going to do this for 10 days. :yiipchick

7. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    Thanks for the update, hope it works.

Best wishes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by