Help my chicken doesnt look healthy

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by claireree, Oct 27, 2010.

1. claireree

claireree Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    I went into the pen today and noticed one of the chickens seemed to be laying down a lot and had no interest to get up for her food, she is only about 6 months old and is usualy quite active. She seems to get up but when she does she doesnt seem to balance well then she walks a couple more steps and then lays down again. As of yet I have only had a few eggs from her but looking at her back end it doesnt look red or swollen so dont think she is egg bound.

It is a bit of a worry as I had exactly the same problem a month or so back with the other chicken that I got from the same place so wondering if it is something in the breed.

2. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    What are they being fed?
    What do her stools look like?

3. claireree

Jul 9, 2010
    not seen her stools but there is no unusual poop in the pen at all, as for the feed I have taken a pic to show you as I have thrown the label away that shows the list of ingredients I have also taken a pic of the chicken as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. claireree

Jul 9, 2010
    Been and checked her this morning and she is still pretty much where I left her, anyone have any ideas.

5. Mesquite

Mesquite Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2009
    Roosevelt TX
    I have a hen with the same symptoms. I have seperated her and am keepng her in a box in the house at nigh and putting her on the fenced off porch for the day. I feed laying pellets in a feeder in the chicken house that they can go to anytime they want and they are allowed to go anywhere they want in the daytime so they are eating some unknown things. I had another that had the same symptome a couple weeks ago and it died but this one is still eating the other wasnt. I would very much like to know what possibile diseases these symptoms could represent.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by